Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Standard Vent Away 2003 - Should I Abandon Them?

I've just moved in to a townhouse my wife and I bought in 2010 in Lexington, KY. Our tenants for the past 2 years reported that the toilets were not operating properly. The house was built in 1980. There are 4 bathrooms each with American Standard vent away 2003 units that are date stamped 1980 on the lids. The venting action doesn't work on any and 2 of them have active leaks I can see on part of the innards. I'm aware that replacement innards cost about $300 each. If I were going to repair them, I would do all 4. I have no need for the vent away action as all bathrooms have vent fans. I've read all the posts I can find. I note a post or two about replacing the innards with modern parts and I expect far cheaper parts. But I'm also aware that the seats are in the $200 range. While the porcelain on all 4 is in great shape, the colors aren't special, they are over 30 years old, and I note that even American Standard abandoned the design. We moved here from Maryland where we were on well water. Here, I'm told that water is expensive. So there might be some positive in getting low flow units. I have a serious question about why it wouldn't be smarter to just buy 4 new toilets. I wonder if you might give me some wisdom as to your thoughts about repair, rebuild with alternate innards, or replace. And if replace what might be good choices as to the replacement toilets. Thanks.

Re: American Standard Vent Away 2003 - Should I Abandon Them?

Truthfully I would swap the toilets with nice 1 piece Toto's.

Replacing all the goodies and the seats don't pay.

There's a way to turn them into a non ventaway, but still spendy. Plus the seat is real spendy.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Replace, gerber viper.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I thought the Vent-A-Way was abandoned by American Standard long before 1980?

Doesn't matter really, it never worked even when brand new. Replacement of the toilet will be easier and cheaper than rebuilding. The only reason to rebuild would be to keep the color scheme in the bathroom.

Comment

, May I suggest 4 new Kohler Cimmerons, on some older homes you may have some long horizontal runs, some low water toilets have trouble keeping the lines open,especially 3" cast iron, the kohler toilets on the model mentioned you simply hold the lever down for a very non-code but effective FLUSH,,,,4 plus gallons ive been told. just like the old toilets.,but still can be very efficient.
          Last edited by cheesehead plumber; 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM.

Comment

toilet recommendation reversal, after reading Terry Loves toilet review, i have changed my mind, sorry mr.kohler ,,,i still like whistling straights golf course though!!!

Comment

Working...
            X