X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No hot water in entire house after repairing one faucet

I replaced a cartridge in a Moen single handle kitchen faucet. After turning the water back on (I had to turn off the water coming into the house to completely stop water coming from the open line from the faucet.)
    The cold water worked fine. The hot water now had very little pressure & this was true throughout the house. I did have some difficulty shutting off the water to the HW tank (natural gas) which is why I shut off the main valve into the house. The water heater is about 10-12 years old. I checked the tank for sediment; it was fine. There is some 'green' around the water inlet valve & I didn't 'feel' as if the valve was functioning correctly; it was sort of 'slipping' I think.
    I drained a great deal of water from the tank - 5+ gal. -estimate, trying to trigger the heater to fire up. Nothing happened.
    I already read a series of posts from about 4 years ago. Nothing seems to fit. Could there be some sort of 'bubble'/vacuum in the line? Thanks for your help.
    Professor K.

Re: No hot water in entire house after repairing one faucet

Sounds like you need a new valve at water heater. Old valves don't like to turn off and then back on.
    You can turn water off to house, turn on a hot source to relieve pressure, at heater, screw off nut around valve stem pull or screw handle out, dig out broken off shut off gig, screw nut with handle stem back on. That could get you going till you can get a new valve put in.

Comment

Simple test. If the hot water shut off valve, gate valve just turns and turns, then the valve is broken. They tend to break in a closed position. The gate / wedge of the valve is lodged in the body. The stem is stripped and is just turning.

As plungerman has mentioned, you need to shut off the cold to the house and drain off the pressure. Then attempt to remove gate with a needle nose plier. But it can be difficult to separate the valve body without destroying it.

Of course replacing the valve with a full port ball valve is the way to go.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

What's up? I replied to this thread last night. I checked it after it posted and went to bed. This morning its gone.

Comment

Quick question on full port ball valves. Fifteen or so years ago I installed a oil boiler, isolated three circulator pumps with full port ball valves. Only changed two of the pumps over the years. My question is, should full port ball valves be closed and opened once in a while to prevent any problems down the road? OR are they pretty much bullet proof? Thanks. Frank

Comment

every valve should be exercised. if not they will stick and could break. th water and mineral content has a lot to due with how long they last and how easy they are to turn.

exercise every valve on a yearly basis.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Most likely the valve on the water heater. I've seen this a few times. I've found the plastic heat trap stuck in the ball valve. When the water to the house was turned off it would move up the pipe just enough not to see it. When the water was turned on, it would move forward and stick in the valve. How it got there considering the flow is a mystery to me. I drilled it out and grabbed it with a needle nose and water was restored.
              Last edited by JeffH; 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X