X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain leak from slab

I live in a house that is half basement/half slab. My kitchen which contains the washing machine and dishwasher drain in one area that comes down in the basement. There is a bad leak coming from around the pipe, dripping down. It is shown in the top part of the pic. I had a local plumber check it out and he told me there is a hole in the pipe somewhere between there and the kitchen (prob 12 feet) and the first step is to chip away the concrete and see if the leak is right there. If not I may have to tear up the floor that is on top of the pipe.Is that my best play?? Should I send a camera there?

Thanks guys, I am a true neophyte in the pipe world and just want to do the right thing!
    Attached Files

Re: drain leak from slab

A little careful chipping to begin with sounds reasonable. A camera will probably not help to see the leak unless it is very very apparent because of rust etc. But the camera can be helpful to find the true path of the pipe. And I am supposing that a water leak has been ruled out correct?
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Looks like the copper water pipe is buried beside it. The drain is probably rotted out the whole way back to the sink/laundry area. Breaking a hole at the wall won't give you much acces. Everyone hopes that the break is right there and a quick repair can be made but it rarely turns out that way. Is there history of drain stoppages?

Save the money for the camera work and apply it to replacing the waste & water line while you have the floor opened up.

Comment

Hi Cuda,

I think a water leak has been ruled out. The water only comes when the sink, washing machine or dishwasher drain. If they aren't draining, there is no leak.

Comment

Do you guys think maybe the sewer drain could be clogged and under pressure causing a leak at one of the CI joints as water builds up in the pipe?

Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
            Do you guys think maybe the sewer drain could be clogged and under pressure causing a leak at one of the CI joints as water builds up in the pipe?

Harvey
            Probably not. That much pressure would translate into the fixtures overflowing or backing up. I dont think that is the case here. I bet there isnt a bottom to the pipe in its entire length.
            26+6=1

Comment

Are there some cracks in the floor or foundation? Is it possible the house has settled and the pipes have shifted causing a crack? All the times I've busted up a floor to fix a broken or rotted pipe, the top is missing almost never the bottom.

Comment

Hi
                I think both the washer and dishwasher pipe connected in the same line?
                O'Connell Plumbing goal is to be your plumber for life, and have some fun along the way

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                  ......I bet there isnt a bottom to the pipe in its entire length.
                  OR... The CI was put in with the seam down, old CI splits and leaks, at the seam. We have hundreds of old homes here in Paradise, (50's-60's built) and there is ALWAYS a split causng leak problems, if it's in the ground, under the slab, it usually creates a stoppage that won't clear... I've down several re-pipes of split CI with PVC DWV. No more problems

Comment

I vote chipping then camera. Why didn't You just give Him the Go ahead when He was there ? Have some faith in Your Tradesman !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Chipping sounds good but since you actually don't know which path you can follow than camera can be a helpful option. I think you need an expert plumber who can help you out with camera, if you want to go for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X