• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toilet always clog

What percentage of time do you plug up?

Is it every day or once a week?

Every number 2 or just sometimes?

If holding the handle down for a longer flush cures the problem, then it's the 1.28 gpf that needs some attention.

How much water level is left in the tank when you flush normally?

Post a photo of the inside of the tank both when full and when the flapper drops closed. Food coloring will help in the tank water to show the water level.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by adamw View Post
      Hi All.

In my power room, I had a toilet (American Standard) that was installed when the house was built 13 years ago that would often clog. It would require a quick plunging and would be ok for a while.

I recently remodeled that powder room so I went to Lowe's and bought a new Kohler toilet. (I had bought another Kohler about 5 years ago to replace a toilet in a different bathroom in the house, and have been very happy with it.)
      I bought the Highline ( Shop KOHLER Highline Classic White 1.28 GPF High Efficiency WaterSense Elongated 2-Piece Toilet at Lowes.com ).

It seemed fine at first, but then started to have the same exact problem. The most annoying thing about this Kohler toilet versus the one I replaced is that the opening at the bottom of the bowl is oval (not round) and therefore no plunger fits properly over it. Plus, when I do manage to get the plunger in a position that seems to work, it seems a lot of the air being pushed is being pushed into the water jet hole in that area, and not into the drain line. So I wind up having to snake it to clear it. And I feel like I can't even get the snake in as far as I want, but it does manage to clear. But again, a few days later, it will clog again.

I don't understand how two different toilets could have the same exact problem.

Could it be something OTHER than the toilet(s) that is the cause of this problem?
      What are those possible causes?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
      ...just a thought but have you observed whether or not the rim holes and siphon hole have a good flow when flushing? if these are clogged up they will have a definite affect on the flush action results.

Comment

If it gets time to pull the toilet, take a photo of the underside of the china at the horn outlet.

I had a kohler at a customers house with similar symptoms. Turns out there was a ledge cast into the horn causing the waste to hang up and also the snake to not want to drop. Not sure if I can find the photo. Mentioned it to adam and he called me months later he had a similar experience.

Not sure what kohler was thinking, but kohler doesn't use their head at times.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Is it vented, or vented properly,
          The other thought is has it been camera-ed,
          some of the toilet flanges had a plastic cover that when you went to mount the toilet one would break out, could it be part way down the line working like a flap one most likely could snake right by it and never know it, the other is some times a disgruntle work man could have put a brick in the line when it was being built, or rocks. sometimes the tile guy may dump his grout down the drain, those are some ideas, If there is some thing slowing down the flush, it wound not help,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

After the 5th call to an office building for a daily snaking. I asked the receptionist to print me up a nice little sign that I taped to the partition door.

EAT MORE FIBER'

It apparently worked. No more stoppages in over a year. I miss the money, but am happy for my customer.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
              After the 5th call to an office building for a daily snaking. I asked the receptionist to print me up a nice little sign that I taped to the partition door.

EAT MORE FIBER'

It apparently worked. No more stoppages in over a year. I miss the money, but am happy for my customer.
              You cant always blame the equipment
              I have a customer that wont call until he has 3 of his commodes stopped up, 4th one is a long walk last resort

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                You cant always blame the equipment
                I have a customer that wont call until he has 3 of his commodes stopped up, 4th one is a long walk last resort
                I had a customer one time who was over 500lbs, and was clogging the toilet in his house.

We had to rip out a brand new Kohler wellsworth, for a power assist.

We told him if that didn't work, an outhouse was next. He started to take his stool softeners again : )

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  What toilet paper brand are you using?

toilet papers should be thrown in properly and dont throw it on the toilet to prevent problems

Comment

My son was always clogging his toilet until I watched how he flushed it. He would just tap the handle. He now holds it down....no more clogged toilet. For the plunger I prefer the Super Plunger (graphic) - YouTube
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X