Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet always clog

Hi All.

In my power room, I had a toilet (American Standard) that was installed when the house was built 13 years ago that would often clog. It would require a quick plunging and would be ok for a while.

I recently remodeled that powder room so I went to Lowe's and bought a new Kohler toilet. (I had bought another Kohler about 5 years ago to replace a toilet in a different bathroom in the house, and have been very happy with it.)
    I bought the Highline ( Shop KOHLER Highline Classic White 1.28 GPF High Efficiency WaterSense Elongated 2-Piece Toilet at Lowes.com ).

It seemed fine at first, but then started to have the same exact problem. The most annoying thing about this Kohler toilet versus the one I replaced is that the opening at the bottom of the bowl is oval (not round) and therefore no plunger fits properly over it. Plus, when I do manage to get the plunger in a position that seems to work, it seems a lot of the air being pushed is being pushed into the water jet hole in that area, and not into the drain line. So I wind up having to snake it to clear it. And I feel like I can't even get the snake in as far as I want, but it does manage to clear. But again, a few days later, it will clog again.

I don't understand how two different toilets could have the same exact problem.

Could it be something OTHER than the toilet(s) that is the cause of this problem?
    What are those possible causes?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Toilet always clog

What toilet paper brand are you using?

Comment

if the auger is clearing the problem, then it's real local. 2.5' of toilet and another 3.5' of pipe with a 6' auger.

1.28gpf is not helping the problem. nost toilets will allow you to hold the handle and get a longer stronger flush. see if that helps.

is the piping cast iron or plastic?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        What toilet paper brand are you using?
        I know that is typically the first question when clogs are concerned, but please know we've been using the same type of paper in all three toilets for 13 years and this is the only toilet that has a problem. We use Wegman's (store brand) quilted paper.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          if the auger is clearing the problem, then it's real local. 2.5' of toilet and another 3.5' of pipe with a 6' auger.

1.28gpf is not helping the problem. nost toilets will allow you to hold the handle and get a longer stronger flush. see if that helps.

is the piping cast iron or plastic?

rick.
          I have heard that the 1.28 could be part of the problem, but I think the A.S. toilet I had before it was 1.5gpf that had the same issue. But, yes, it can seem to help if you hold the lever down until the bowl is completely empty, but I'm not certain that is 100% effective.

If I'm able to get more than 3 feet of snake into the drain, I'd be surprised, so it's not going in there far.

The piping is PVC.

Comment

Does your toilet sit on an offset flange?

Comment

Does your toilet sit on an offset flange?
              No.

Comment

Did you use a horned wax ring, and was there one when you pulled the old toilet?

Comment

Did you use a horned wax ring, and was there one when you pulled the old toilet?
                  A pro installed it (twice, actually). I know he used a new ring each time, but I didn't notice if it had a horn or not. (and he could not explain why this keeps happening either. his only thought was the low gpf.) (It was installed once when I bought it, then we had the floors replaced, so it had to be removed and installed again.)

Comment

Originally posted by adamw View Post
                    A pro installed it (twice, actually). I know he used a new ring each time, but I didn't notice if it had a horn or not. (and he could not explain why this keeps happening either. his only thought was the low gpf.) (It was installed once when I bought it, then we had the floors replaced, so it had to be removed and installed again.)
                    Did you buy the house new? Who was the builder?

Comment

Pa would mean basement-is it unfinished.....

Is it possible the you could take a picture of the piping from underneath and post it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                        Pa would mean basement-is it unfinished.....

Is it possible the you could take a picture of the piping from underneath and post it?
                        I think he's in my area, and it always seems as though the majority in our area has their basement finished. But then again, I'm speculating.

Comment

do u use dental floss or have young children,,,,,,?????

Comment

I would have the offender try a different toilet and see if it stops up too

Comment

Yes, I bought the house new. Ryan Homes.
                              Basement is finished, but that drain is above the drop ceiling, so it can be accessed. I can do a picture later tonight if you really think it would be helfpul.
                              Yes, I have children and we of course use floss, but not in that room. The children are not stuffing anything in there they shouldn't.
                              I picked out the original toilet and bought it myself. I bought it back in August, so I'm sure I'm past the return window. Plus, can a toilet even be returned once it has been used? I'm wondering if an email to Kohler would be useful.

Thanks for the input guys, please keep it coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X