Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible problems with PEX plumbing?

Hi guys,

I'm using PEX plumbing pipe to replace the my rustic copper in home. Has anyone heard of an incident of mice chewing into plumbing with pex? As far as I can tell this may be the real drawback of PEX tubing unlike copper pipe. We don't have mice but this is an old country home with evidence of past mice years ago.

Thank you for your time!

Re: Possible problems with PEX plumbing?

It's happened but it's very rare. I've never had a call for mice eating pex.

Comment

I've done plenty of repairs to PEX piping so far. Most have been installation error or bad non American fittings. I've also done a few SS Cinch ring failures.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by gibsonhandyman View Post
        Hi guys,

I'm using PEX plumbing pipe to replace the my rustic copper in home. Has anyone heard of an incident of mice chewing into plumbing with pex? As far as I can tell this may be the real drawback of PEX tubing unlike copper pipe. We don't have mice but this is an old country home with evidence of past mice years ago.

Thank you for your time!
        I had a roof rat get into my suspended t-bar office ceiling and gnaw into some Aquapex. Ruined a couple of panels and got the floor wet. Killed the rat. No more problem.

Comment

You dont need copper, you need a cat.
          26+6=1

Comment

You should get A free kitten with every 100' roll

Comment

Re: Possible problems with PEX plumbing pipe?

Yeah, we already have a cat, so no problem with rats
              By the way, what tubing sizes do you prefer to use?

Comment

We have a huge Rat problem in Florida I get at least 6 gnawed plastic pipe calls a year ... they especially like Uponor ...

Comment

I re-plumed our home a number of years ago.
                  I used WISBRO-PEX
                  I ran 3/4" from a manifold system to every device. I
                  then stubbed out to 1/2" copper
                  I believe I also had a 1 or 1 1/4" run from the city water meter valve to the house.

The reason I did that is the inside diameter of the tubing is slightly smaller.
                  The manifold system ensures a balance throughout the house and allows
                  specific water shut off should I require service.

I have not experienced any loss of water pressure when in the shower and a
                  toilet is flushed. Oh..one of our toilets just turned 48...happy birthday to the best crapper in the house!

It took about 2 weeks for the plastic waxy odor to wash away from the PEX.
                  We have scorpions and black widows no varmints in our attic.
                  I also noticed the reverse osmosis system is working better and the filters last longer.

I strongly suggest you add the foam pipe insulation to both the hot and cold runs.

If you have never worked with this type product I strongly suggest you hire a licensed plumber!!!!!
                  and get the proper building permits...you have been warned as your homeowner's insurance
                  may not cover water damage when your work fails!

I'm sure the plumber will reduce his price if you offer to do the grunt work.

Cactus Man

Comment

Don't forget squirrels. Had a number of houses in North Port Florida have to be re-piped at the 2nd rough stage because the GC wasn't putting the soffits on soon enough. Squirrels got in and destroyed so much of the pipe it was quicker to re-pipe than find all the leaks and fix.

Comment

We have this stuff all over the place in Oklahoma and in Texas. I have had very few problems. We have had more problems with copper. Most are using type "m" and I think those rats on the east coast could chew through that. I used to use the Old Polybutylene with both aluminum, and later copper rings. Used it right up until they went out of business, then we used wirsboro for a while, but hated the manual expansion tool, so we switched to Zurn. Never had the problems that the East and West coast had. Many feet still in place today. Moved to California, and they wouldn't allow pex and I saw first hand the Polybutylene problems. I think most of it was improper installs and something in the water. Damn stuff was splitting right down the middle. Moved to Texas and started using Zurn pex with brass fittings, until I learned the word De-zynctification (Lead FREE BS), then I switched to Uponor. I love it. It took about 3 weeks to get used to it, now I can't stand it when I have to crimp some ring. With the Milwaukee propex expander tool, you use the tool outside the wall in most cases and then put the pipe together. The fittings are bigger. I use the Poly fittings, and we insulate with 1" thick insulation anywhere in the attic or under house. If you have rats chewing through pex, that may be a good thing. They are also chewing through the electrical lines. Hopefully, when the house catches fire, the pex will melt and the water will put out the fire, and drown the rat. Problem solved.
                      "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Three calls in three weeks from same property. Rats going for water. Advised Rat-sak to terminate them.

Comment

Working...
                        X