Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tools for pex?

What are the basic tools for pex?

first I have never hardly been around it, in our Church they have done some remodeling and in the process, some one has ran pex in some repairs,

and in the process they are removing the old restrooms that have been replaced with a new addition and the old kitchen, well the bozo's never put in a stop to the old work from the new addition, so in the process of taking out the cabinets, (over the years some one ran some of the piping through the cabinets, so I went down and shut off the water, and cut the pipes only to find out after the fact that the new addition and the old water to the old part, were tee-ed together,

I was able to find a shark bite cap (and was lucky to find that at the lumber yard, hardware store closed down), and caped the copper, line I cut, but there is plumbing above the floor and under the floor, some copper and some pex, it looks like 1/2"? and 3/4"?

So for to put in a stop or to cap a line what would I need? do you need special tools for each brand? or is it "universal" will one brand of fitting work on another brand of tube?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: tools for pex?

All the manufacturers have their own set of approved tools. Viega and Wiersbo are two well known proprietary manufacturers; there are a few others, too. The 'clown college' pex you find at big box stores (you know the type - carnival red and blue) use a universal stainless steel cinch clamp with ribbed fittings. The tools are sold in the same isle. These universal ribbed fittings also fit the other manufacturer's pipe as long as it is CTS (copper tube size) pipe BUT the manufacturers will not warranty their pipe if non-approved fittings or tools are used.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      What are the basic tools for pex?

first I have never hardly been around it, in our Church they have done some remodeling and in the process, some one has ran pex in some repairs,

and in the process they are removing the old restrooms that have been replaced with a new addition and the old kitchen, well the bozo's never put in a stop to the old work from the new addition, so in the process of taking out the cabinets, (over the years some one ran some of the piping through the cabinets, so I went down and shut off the water, and cut the pipes only to find out after the fact that the new addition and the old water to the old part, were tee-ed together,

I was able to find a shark bite cap (and was lucky to find that at the lumber yard, hardware store closed down), and caped the copper, line I cut, but there is plumbing above the floor and under the floor, some copper and some pex, it looks like 1/2"? and 3/4"?

So for to put in a stop or to cap a line what would I need? do you need special tools for each brand? or is it "universal" will one brand of fitting work on another brand of tube?
      This is one of my gripes it was so easy years ago all you needed were a copper flaring tool and a set of dies to thread a gal pipe but now you go to a job to repair a burst and your nighmare begins there are just so many pex piping and fittings on the market and the authorities couldn`t give a stuff and allow them to be sold by every tom dick and harry who wont be around in the years to come I am glad that I am at the end of my plumbing career as it will just get worse worse you will need a semi just to carry all the different tools and pexs to repair that burst hot or cold water pipe and if you don`t have the tools your client wont be your client anymore

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
        This is one of my gripes it was so easy years ago all you needed were a copper flaring tool and a set of dies to thread a gal pipe but now you go to a job to repair a burst and your nighmare begins there are just so many pex piping and fittings on the market and the authorities couldn`t give a stuff and allow them to be sold by every tom dick and harry who wont be around in the years to come I am glad that I am at the end of my plumbing career as it will just get worse worse you will need a semi just to carry all the different tools and pexs to repair that burst hot or cold water pipe and if you don`t have the tools your client wont be your client anymore

Tony

Im not sure about Australia, but in the US if the tubing is marked SDR-9 you can use crimp rings or cinch clamps on it. Uponor is the only tubing you expand over the fitting, but being SDR-9 you can crimp it also.
        26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
          Im not sure about Australia, but in the US if the tubing is marked SDR-9 you can use crimp rings or cinch clamps on it. Uponor is the only tubing you expand over the fitting, but being SDR-9 you can crimp it also.
          Yep.

I would suggest the compact crimpers for any remodel or repair work. Made in the USA.

PEX Compact Crimping Tool by Mil3; Original Made in USA

Comment

Working...
          X