X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hose Connector Disintegrated

Water softeners that use salt work on a function called ion exchange. When water is used hardness ions exchange for what the resin is holding - sodium (not salt!) During the regeneration process sodium is exchanged for hardness ions. The chlorine part of the salt is lost down the drain. Properly functioning softeners should not add salt to the water. They will impart sodium which some people have a sensitivity to. Potassium salts will usually offset this problem but KCl is usually very expensive.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Okay I started to try and fix this as suggested by Jerrymac. First problem - there was some building paper sticking out near the bib which started smoldering as soon as I started the torch up so I had to stop and clear out a larger area to work. I then found a kink in the pipe. Not sure how it got there although it could have been due to trying to wrench that connector off (although I was back holding the bib with a wrench at this time). So now that has to be replaced.

I opened up the interior wall (this is now behind the refrigerator) and there is a tee - one branch feeds the outside and the other feeds the drinking water supply to the refrigerator (which I never use anyway). So replacing this would involve soldering at close quarters. I wonder if this might be a job for the propress or even sharkbite

I wonder if I'm going to get flamed for mentioning sharkbite

Th tricky part is soldering the hub of the tee facing outwards - I could pre-solder and then do the other two in place but I've generally always soldered tees on one pass - not sure if doing one and then the others later can cause the old joint to spring a leak??

Comment

This an example of a job where I bring out my rt-100 soldering tongs. Doable with torch prefer tongs.

wookie

Comment

I've seen mixed reviews on those electric soldering irons on here - some don't seem too keen on them.

My current thinking is to cut everything upto the fridge outlet and remake the tee with the connections outside the wall and bring the assembly in and attach to the upper pipe (which is the supply) using a coupling without a stop. I have a piece of long coupling that can be cut to size. This way I only get to solder joints that are visible and not too deep into the wall. My reluctance the solder the joint facing outwards is that I cannot see whether the solder has made it all the way around.

Comment

If you have a propress or access to one that seems like a no brainer, I hate shark bites but that is there purpose helping homeowners solve there issues I'd would use to slip coupling and presolder the branch a few scraps of tile slid behind if I was without my propress and wanted to solder it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
              If you have a propress or access to one that seems like a no brainer, I hate shark bites but that is there purpose helping homeowners solve there issues I'd would use to slip coupling and presolder the branch a few scraps of tile slid behind if I was without my propress and wanted to solder it.
              Propress can be rented locally. Was debating whether to add it to my toolkit although hard to justify the $ for the level of use. I have a couple of flame guards I use for soldering inside wall cavities.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                I've seen mixed reviews on those electric soldering irons on here - some don't seem too keen on them.

My current thinking is to cut everything upto the fridge outlet and remake the tee with the connections outside the wall and bring the assembly in and attach to the upper pipe (which is the supply) using a coupling without a stop. I have a piece of long coupling that can be cut to size. This way I only get to solder joints that are visible and not too deep into the wall. My reluctance the solder the joint facing outwards is that I cannot see whether the solder has made it all the way around.
                Can't speak to ther brands of tongs, the rt-100 is a great tool when it's needed. You'll get mixed reviews on any tool. As long as you can see the end of solder you can judge if enough has flowed in the joint. Small inspection mirrors are handy.

Patching is neccessary already, can you just enlarge the work area?

Good Luck,

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                  Can't speak to ther brands of tongs, the rt-100 is a great tool when it's needed. You'll get mixed reviews on any tool. As long as you can see the end of solder you can judge if enough has flowed in the joint. Small inspection mirrors are handy.

Patching is neccessary already, can you just enlarge the work area?

Good Luck,

wookie
                  Yes the area can be enlarged and I will have to do that. I don't have the electric soldering iron so it would either be rent the propress or go with my suggested method of using a gas torch.

Comment

do not solder the new bibb on. use a male or female adapter that sticks out through the stucco. then when needed, you can unscrew the bibb and install a new one.

the kink can be swedged out to make it round again. i would try to unsolder the old bibb and use a sizing tool to square up the old copper. a simple 1/2'' steel bolt with no threads will probably work fine. they sell a pretty cheap swedging tool at osh hardware in the tool dept. or plumbing dept. made by general.

clean off the old flux at the tee.

if you can wait till end of april, joey phoebe and i will be close by at lego land. i can swing by with them and fix it up pretty easily.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      do not solder the new bibb on. use a male or female adapter that sticks out through the stucco. then when needed, you can unscrew the bibb and install a new one.

the kink can be swedged out to make it round again. i would try to unsolder the old bibb and use a sizing tool to square up the old copper. a simple 1/2'' steel bolt with no threads will probably work fine. they sell a pretty cheap swedging tool at osh hardware in the tool dept. or plumbing dept. made by general.

clean off the old flux at the tee.

if you can wait till end of april, joey phoebe and i will be close by at lego land. i can swing by with them and fix it up pretty easily.

rick.
                      Okay thanks Rick - never thought about removing the kink or that even a tool existed for doing that. Much simpler than what I was planning. I guess I need not have bothered cutting out the drywall.

What is osh hardware

How about a Sharkbite coupling - low risk since it can be removed if it springs a leak (cannot be any worse than that coupling that broke). I can offer to be the guinea pig to settle how reliable they are in the long term

Probably cannot wait until April since my plants need water and we don't seem to be having much rain this winter or else I could rely on the rain for doing the watering in the meantime. Had to manually water them today. But do feel free to swing by when you are in town regardless just to say hello.

Comment

Osh hardware is orchard supply hardware. Northern calif. Based. Big presense here in so calif.

The sizing tool is just a slight tapered hardened steel rod that fits the id of the copper.

Will let you know about our road trip end of april.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Looks like osh hardware does not exist in the San Diego area. However, Graiger has a swaging tool 3/16 - 5/8 about $10. For about $20 they have a General set. Might get it there.

Comment

Working...
                          X