X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose Connector Disintegrated

Has anyone seen anything like this. This is a hose connector which I connected to an outside hose bib. This was feeding a 4 port hose connector one of which fed an irrigation system. I installed this assembly about 3 years ago when I remodeled my backyard. Since it also feeds an irrigation system it was always pressurized.

Recently I noticed the area near to the faucet was wet so I took a look and saw a leak so I turned the system off until I had more time to look at it. I got around to it yesterday and it looked like a leak in the middle of the body of the assembly. I tried to remove it and the whole thing disintegrated as shown in the photo. From what I recall the outside body looked like chrome when it was new now it seems like it had suffered corrosion (there was a white powdery substance all over the body) and I cannot remove the part screwed into the bib.

I'm thinking about desoldering the bib completely and redoing this part of the plumbing. The question is - is a bib the test thing to install or given that this is primarily an an irrigation system maybe another set of components would be better. However it would be nice to retain the ability to connect a hose also.

Any suggestions on components and a configuration that would be best for this install?

Re: Hose Connector Disintegrated

Looks like fertilizer or dog pee corrosion.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

No dogs in the house. Also I don;t ever recall taking fertilizer near it - the plants are some distance away and I fertilize directly - I don't use one of those screw-on fertilizer feeders.

Comment

Looks like pot metal.

Similar to the green bibb handle.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

The metal was very thin and the main body is plastic so no wonder once the metal failed the whole thing fell apart. I think the old bib needs to come out - looks like it has also reached the end of its life.

Comment

To me it looks like thin pot metal and hard water corrosion.....
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

most likely one can unscrew the threaded collar off the spigot and remove the pot metal shut off and dig it out of the 4 way splitter and replace your shut off (the part that corroded) and be back in business if you want,

Click image for larger version

Name:	f84d16b8dccb45a37dd9323d0691cd6e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	17186

Instead of a pot metal one get a brass unit if you need the shut off, looks like to me the water is not kind to the pot metal,

to aid in the unscrewing of the collar some type of pentrating oil let it set for a few days, carecully cut the out side edge (not into the threads) with a hack saw, in a few places and most likely it will break off, try to tighten it and then loosen with a pipe wrench, heat.
              Last edited by BHD; 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                The metal was very thin and the main body is plastic so no wonder once the metal failed the whole thing fell apart. I think the old bib needs to come out - looks like it has also reached the end of its life.
                I would remove hose bib install a tee behind a new bib run the line over with a full port ball valve
                then 90 and install a 1/2" x 3/4" hose adp, so you get the full flow of water
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                  I would remove hose bib install a tee behind a new bib run the line over with a full port ball valve
                  then 90 and install a 1/2" x 3/4" hose adp, so you get the full flow of water
                  Good idea. So if I understand you correctly you are suggesting removing the bib and installing a tee where the bib used to be. On one branch of the tee install the new bib and on the other a ball valve which then feeds the other components you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                    To me it looks like thin pot metal and hard water corrosion.....
                    Yes we have very hard water around here but I have a water softener and I thought the bib was fed off the softened water but I need to recheck - that may not be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      most likely one can unscrew the threaded collar off the spigot and remove the pot metal shut off and dig it out of the 4 way splitter and replace your shut off (the part that corroded) and be back in business if you want,

Click image for larger version

Name:	f84d16b8dccb45a37dd9323d0691cd6e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	17186

Instead of a pot metal one get a brass unit if you need the shut off, looks like to me the water is not kind to the pot metal,

to aid in the unscrewing of the collar some type of pentrating oil let it set for a few days, carecully cut the out side edge (not into the threads) with a hack saw, in a few places and most likely it will break off, try to tighten it and then loosen with a pipe wrench, heat.
                      Yes the one I had looks like the one in the photo.

Comment

You got the ideal,
                        softners are not connected to outside hosebibs
                        #1 it would run you out of salt all the time
                        #2 it is not good for the grass and other plants
                        but I forgot you also need a back-flow added to the piping unless you don't mind doggy
                        sxxt and other outside chemicals coming into your house water (potable water)
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

You got the ideal,
                          but I forgot you also need a back-flow added to the piping unless you don't mind doggy
                          All of the irrigation related components are further downstream and include a backflow preventer, pressure regulator and all of the valves for the different zones. All of the irrigation is drip based (I don't have a lawn so no sprinklers) so I think the pressure is regulated to 25PSI.But yes I would include a backflow preventer on the bib.

Comment

You got the ideal,
                            The water softner could be tied into the hose bibbs, if it was a water softner added to an existing house, but should not be tied into the sprinkler system. As far as killing the grass and plants. If the unit is set correctly, then you will not have a problem. Most are not set correctly. I have a video that I am going to edit about water softeners and throw up here, when I get time. You may be shocked at what we are seeing up here in North Texas.
                            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Right....a properly set and functioning softener should not be adding any sodium to the water.....the salt is used in cleaning the resin in the tank...
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X