Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to cap toilet flange

Thanks Rick , And Blue Can. I just learned something new and valuable
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      Just got back in town from a 3 day vacation.

Post a photo. A 4" diameter closet ring is very common out here with new construction plumbing.

There is a simple fix. They make a 3" abs male pipe size closet flange that is about 3" long. It will glue right into the 4" pipe with no cutting. Run longer bolts through the old flange to double secure it to the pipe.

Buy a common 4x3 wax ring and you'll be good to go with no problem.

Post a photo to be sure. Hd has the 3" ring there too.

Rick.
      Did the vacation involve Zip lining in Utah ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Just got back in town from a 3 day vacation.

Post a photo. A 4" diameter closet ring is very common out here with new construction plumbing.

There is a simple fix. They make a 3" abs male pipe size closet flange that is about 3" long. It will glue right into the 4" pipe with no cutting. Run longer bolts through the old flange to double secure it to the pipe.

Buy a common 4x3 wax ring and you'll be good to go with no problem.

Post a photo to be sure. Hd has the 3" ring there too.

Rick.
        Hey Rick - did not see you posting recently so I guessed you might have been on vacation.

Here is a photo. So are you suggesting leaving everything as is and gluing the new flange on top or removing those spacers first. Do the spacers just pull off or are they glued. Can I just glue a small section of pipe first if I need to raise the new flange to the new floor height.

Is the install shown in the photo correct or should the bottom of the flange be sitting on top of the tile with the tile and sub-floor supporting the flange?

Comment

The 2 white spacers look to be just sitting on the flange. Normally they need to be siliconed down.

Remove the spacers, clean the wax and the inside of the abs pipe where the new ring will glue down. Do a dry fit first. The flange is suppose to sit ontop of the finish surface/ tile floor.

Went to Palm springs and the snow ontop the tram at 8200'.

How close is legoland to you?

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Okay I think I get it and that's a great solution if it works - pull the spacers finish the floor with the new extra sub-flooring and tile cut to support the new flange and then glue the new flange down as the final step into the old flange. I will get the flange and dry fit/experiment first. It's going to be a little while before I need to get to that stage anyway as I need to finish tiling the lower section/pan of the shower first.

I'm in the Scripps Ranch area of SD which is about 30 miles from Carlsbad where Legoland is.

Comment

There is a simple fix. They make a 3" abs male pipe size closet flange that is about 3" long. It will glue right into the 4" pipe with no cutting. Run longer bolts through the old flange to double secure it to the pipe. Rick.
              Rick
              Correct me if I'm wrong. A 3x4 hub (female) abs closet flange, which is approximately 4" od can be solvent welded into a 4" pipe. A 3" abs male pipe size closet flange" which is approximately 3-1/2" od, will not.

Comment

Working...
              X