X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cap toilet flange

I will be not having a toilet in place during remodel and it may be days/weeks in that state depending on how things go etc so I was wondering about the options for capping the toilet flange during that time. I spoke with the guys at the supply house and they don't really have a cap for this. I'm wondering if I could cut off the old flange and cap the drain since it is likely the level of the new toilet will be different to the old one and so will probably need a new flange anyway.

Any ideas?

Re: How to cap toilet flange

3 " rubber N wing nut test plug
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A 3 or 4inch expansion plug should work just fine, with or with out removing the existing flange.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        3 " rubber N wing nut test plug
        Tool you the man as always.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          I will be not having a toilet in place during remodel and it may be days/weeks in that state depending on how things go etc so I was wondering about the options for capping the toilet flange during that time. I spoke with the guys at the supply house and they don't really have a cap for this. I'm wondering if I could cut off the old flange and cap the drain since it is likely the level of the new toilet will be different to the old one and so will probably need a new flange anyway.

Any ideas?
          1st find a supply house with better help.

like Tool & Buffalo said 3" or 4" expansion test plug will work depending on what size pipe you have or if you flange is set into the pipe some rags & duct tape will work.

Why cut off a good flange when if you are to low ( I doubt you will be to high) when you are done all you have to do is add some spacers.

Comment

what mr. toolaholic said...
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Flip a knockout flange over and johnny bolt it down
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

If you know the floor will be higher cut it out, raise it now. If the floor will be raised 3/4" slap a piece of pressure treated plywood to fit under the flange and set a knock out down.

If you stack the flange upside down use putty to seal. I would use the plug if it were staying the same height. If it is a cheap metal ring on plastic other than stainless, get rid of it. If its lead, get rid of it.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Just popped out and got the plugs - 3" and 4" - not sure which one I need until I pull the toilet. I'm expecting the new floor to be higher than the old one so most likely it will have to be raised. This was a last minute decision to retile the floor so I'm still weighing up the different options but it is very likely I will be using Ditra uncoupling membrane with either another layer of plywood or a mortar bed over the original sub-floor. Also debating whether to include floor heating as well.

Comment

I will be not having a toilet in place during remodel and it may be days/weeks in that state depending on how things go etc so I was wondering about the options for capping the toilet flange during that time. Any ideas?
                    Even if it's a year, a tight fitting rag will do the job.
                    As a boy, I remember watching plumbers wrap newspaper or a rag with tie wire, stick ball in a closet riser with the end of wire sticking out of the top and then pour a plaster called dynamite over the top until it crested on the rim opf the pipe. When dry, they would do a water test and it would leak. Later, they'd breakout the plaster, grab the wire with a pair of pliers and with a yank everything came out and the riser was ready for a closet ring. They also capped abandoned waste lines this way (water and air tight).

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                    If you know the floor will be higher cut it out, raise it now. If the floor will be raised 3/4" slap a piece of pressure treated plywood to fit under the flange and set a knock out down.
                    Setting toilets is like painting. The prep work is as important as the actual job ay hand.
                    Unless I knew the exact height of the new finished floor, I'd extend the riser, as Gettinit suggests. For plastic, instead of installing the flange now, I would run the riser up 6" and put a piece of 1/2" wall insulation around it. After the finished floor is installed, I'd remove the insulation, cut the riser at the proper height (with an internal cutter) and install and secure a new flange. Perfect installation every time.
                    For Cast Iron, I'd cut and run the riser up a 1/4" higher than the assumed height of the finished floor and put a piece of 1/2" wall insulation around it. After the finished floor was installed, I'd remove insulation and set and secure a 4x2 lead ring. Also perfect every time. If I guessed too low, I'd use a 4x3 lead ring, too high and I'd knock or grind off the excess CI. Without even mentioning the difficulty of cutting the old CI riser below floor or slab, the latter technique is probably something you should leave to a plumber with lead experience.
                    Last edited by Plumbus; 02-18-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Okay so I pulled the toilet today. It looks like the original flange was set too low and it looks like they have used at least a couple of spacers to get it to the correct height. The wing nut cap suggested by tool worked great for capping. The drain turned out to be 4". Plumbus - my home is about 15 years old so all the drains are ABS. So anyway it looks like I will need to cut out the original flange (I guess using an internal pipe cutter), add a riser (I assume using a coupling) and then cut to size once the new floor is ready as suggested. However, is there a risk that doing this way might end up needing to cut the coupling rather then the pipe in which case how will the new flange fit.

Can anyone also guide me on the use of a wax vs non-wax ring. The original install had a wax ring. Also any tips on cleaning off the waxy reside off my putty knife that I used for scraping it off?

Comment

Okay so I pulled the toilet today. It looks like the original flange was set too low and it looks like they have used at least a couple of spacers to get it to the correct height. The wing nut cap suggested by tool worked great for capping. The drain turned out to be 4". Plumbus - my home is about 15 years old so all the drains are ABS. So anyway it looks like I will need to cut out the original flange (I guess using an internal pipe cutter), add a riser (I assume using a coupling) and then cut to size once the new floor is ready as suggested. However, is there a risk that doing this way might end up needing to cut the coupling rather then the pipe in which case how will the new flange fit.

Can anyone also guide me on the use of a wax vs non-wax ring. The original install had a wax ring. Also any tips on cleaning off the waxy reside off my putty knife that I used for scraping it off?
                        Why do you need the internal cutter? Use most any hand wipes. Something similar to this.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                          Why do you need the internal cutter? Use most any hand wipes. Something similar to this.
                          I've yet to remove the tile and backer around the flange but I think it may still be too low to cut from the outside so I was thinking I would need an internal cutter (unless I open the ceiling from below)

Comment

Ahh, got you. Tape that darn pipe cutter to the drill. I would open the ceiling though.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Just got back in town from a 3 day vacation.

Post a photo. A 4" diameter closet ring is very common out here with new construction plumbing.

There is a simple fix. They make a 3" abs male pipe size closet flange that is about 3" long. It will glue right into the 4" pipe with no cutting. Run longer bolts through the old flange to double secure it to the pipe.

Buy a common 4x3 wax ring and you'll be good to go with no problem.

Post a photo to be sure. Hd has the 3" ring there too.

Rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X