X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugged Shower / Bath Valve body ???

Hi All new here hoping to become a part of your community !

I have an issue with a Home Depot Pegasus Brand, shower control, we lost cold water to both the bath and shower. I have replaced the valve and any other internals that there are replacement parts for, there is cold water with correct pressure at the adjustment screw on the inlet, there is a large cover just beyond that and if I remove and turn on water there is plenty at that point, but then it looks like the water is piped into the main valve body of the housing and no cold makes it, even with the hot all the way off. Can a valve body become corroded or build up a blockage over time ? I have tride to run a wire through it with no luck, any thoughts any one ? I would rather not have to cut the wall out behind it and replace ..

I have attached an image of the valve in question.

Thanks

Troy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tr0y; 02-19-2013, 11:22 PM. Reason: image problems

Re: Plugged Shower / Bath Valve body ???

Welcome.

In very old systems the hard water can cause corrosion or buildup that causes a plug. Also, parts of water lines, stones, and washers from water stops can get stuck and plug the little tubes.

If the hot water is turned off at the hot water maker and then the cold water turned on, as the valve is pictured now, and no water exits the small round hole in the center section then:

- the supply tube may be plugged
    - the pressure balancer assembly is plugged or non-functional

I'd bet on the balancer being bad. It's located behind the big hex nut on the right hand side.

This looks like a glorified Delta valve. Parts should be available.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I agree with plumber punky , but with pegasus replacement parts are hard to find,even from home depot,,,,,,,if you cant find a new balancing spool for the pressure balance feature,try soaking it in vinager or acid but be carefull with the acid so u dont burn yourself

Comment

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
        I agree with plumber punky , but with pegasus replacement parts are hard to find,even from home depot,,,,,,,if you cant find a new balancing spool for the pressure balance feature,try soaking it in vinager or acid but be carefull with the acid so u dont burn yourself

The balancer may have o-rings or other parts that may be affected by acid or may be damaged already. The parts of the balancer should be moving freely and have no obvious scrapes or gouges.

Edit: these faucets are made by Globe Union Industrial (China). They are designed to be throw-away products and have little to no parts support. Globe Union Industrial also makes some other well known brands such as Gerber and Danze. Their web site has more info.
        Last edited by Plumber Punky; 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM. Reason: info
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Why not replace it from the front?
          Just widen out your hole to just under the diameter of the cover plate.
          If a bigger hole is called for, then use an oversize remodel plate with a new, quality valve.
          Some things just aren't worth the time and trouble repairing.
          And this looks like one of them, IMO.

Comment

Working...
          X