X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sump pit drain issue

There really isnt anything under the flat lid...its stuck onto the pipe that runs horizontal under the slab. The 4 upper pipes slope into the pit and bring in water from around the house...the large pipe that you can see carries it away. No, never had a pump here and the city inspector said it didnt one

Comment

i just did a load of laundry and video'd into the pipe with my phone when the machine drained. The water definitely rises up into the pipe. The pipe is half buried into the ground, and the water rises straight up through the gravel. is it possible that the 4 pipes above going to each side of the house, actually carry water away? its really hard to tell which way they slope...

Comment

hah nevermind, the 4 smaller pipes above defintely slope in toward the pit. just stuck a level up each of them

Comment

Update: Overthinking this way too hard, had a plumber come out, the main sewer line was clogged with roots. The storm water(sump pit) drains directly into the sanitary..(old town, old plumbing). Thus the sanitary water backing up into the sump pit.
          I know this is not how the city wants things to be, but it passed the I & I inspection last year...so...

Comment

Perhaps. Did he camera the line to verify that or was it a guess?

If it's verified and is tied together then Mr. Plumberscrack had the right idea. That should be a functioning backwater (check) valve.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

no camera to verify, but it was pretty obvious. The pit collects water from the drain tile around the house, and goes directly into the sanitary. I'm not positive that there is any type of check valve...

Comment

Originally posted by mevans17 View Post
                no camera to verify, but it was pretty obvious. The pit collects water from the drain tile around the house, and goes directly into the sanitary. I'm not positive that there is any type of check valve...
                I'm not trying to be argumentative. Nothing is obvious without proof or data to back it. The only things that may have been obvious, as provided by your post are:

1- There is an odd fitting in the sump pit, with a flat removable lid, shaped like a giant swing check valve, that has no internals
                2- There was a blockage in the main sewer causing a backup of sewer water into the pit
                3- The blockage was caused by roots
                4- Pipes are not manufactured with roots in them, therefore, the pipe or joints of the pipe are compromised

You will have this problem again in the future. It may be worse.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                X