X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump pit drain issue

Below is a picture of my sump pit, no pump. When the water drains from the wash machine, the water flows back in through the main drain pipe at the bottom of the pit, filling the pit almost half full. The water will eventually recedes(about 20 minutes or so, so i dont think the drain line is completely blocked...but i have never seen this before...any ideas? Is the laundry drain tied into this ground water line somewhere further down ad it is blocked??

Click image for larger version

Name:	ec262fe8b54be0a25bb877e528b7b0b1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	17215

Re: Sump pit drain issue

The sanitary sewer should not be tied to the storm sewer (washer/poo do not go into gutter/sump drains) even when you have a septic system. You might have a broken sanitary sewer line that is partially blocked. The easiest outlet is into the sump pit. A plumber with a sewer camera is the first person to call.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks, I know the sanitary shouldnt be tied into the storm, but this house was built in 1922... also, i would think that the pit would drain faster when its half full of water which makes me think the storm drain is clogged....im in northern MN, could it freeze?

Comment

It could if it is buried less than 48-55 inches down.

Most municipalities have codes that prevent both systems from tying into each other. Also, the 'grandfathered' systems that are tied into each other are no longer legal. Check with your building department, they can tell you more.

The higher head pressure of a half full pit would make it drain slightly faster but it also depends upon the size and condition of the storm piping.

You still need someone with a camera system. The health department frowns upon poop in the pit.
        ~~

Comment

thanks again...another thing i've noticied, if the pit has water in it from the washer and i flush the basement toilet, some of that toilet water also flows back in the main drain in the pit....I've put small balls or toilet paper in the toilet, and none of them end up in the pit, just water. If the pit is completely dry and i flush the toilet, everything works normal and no water comes into the pit.

Comment

When you run the washer a much higher volume of water flows into the pipe so you see the problem quicker. The reason why I think the pipe is broken is the reason you stated - no debris comes in, just water. I'd think that if it were a true interconnected system then solids would enter the pit as well.

I know I keep stressing the camera system but it is the only way to know what's truly going on. A good system will be able to make you a hard copy of the data on dvd or memory stick for future reference. Plumber Rick is probably the authority here on cameras (and jetters).
            ~~

Comment

So the water would leave the broken sanitary pipe and enter the pit through the main storm drain somehow? I just dont understand how the water gets into the storm drain...and then flows the wrong way

Comment

I agree with Plumber punky marks17 you need A Plumber with Camera that is the only way to know what actually is going on. You have to check it out if there is some pipe which is broken as you are not sure about anything going on there.

Comment

Yes, the water would exit the broken pipe. It then seeps into the tile drains or gravel under the floor which exits at the lowest point - the pipe or base of the pit. There is a possibility that the sanitary pipe is broken, crushed, separated, and/or partially blocked.
                  ~~

Comment

thanks, the search is on for a plumber that wont break the bank!

Comment

it sounds like i should probably get the main drain in the pit scoped out too....i can see water coming in the pit through one of the 4 clay pipes that go to each side of the house...but i still dont understand why the water comes into the main drain pipe at the bottom of the pit...that should be exit only..

Comment

Originally posted by mevans17 View Post
                        i still dont understand why the water comes into the main drain pipe at the bottom of the pit...that should be exit only..
                        it will come in when the inlet of the pipe is lower than the where the problem lies (the problem creates a dam that is higher than the inlet). Perhaps the tiles for the pit are plugged or they are pipes to nowhere (tiles with no exit).
                        ~~

Comment

Okay, what am i looking at in the pit? Is that a backwater valve?

Comment

I dont believe there is any valve...the bottom of the pit has a lateral pipe that takes the storm water to the street. The pit has 4 inlet pipes that function normally when it isnt winter.

Comment

Whats under the flat round lid on that pipe?

My guess (and I cant stress 'guess' enough)... The lower pipes bring water into pit and the upper pipe connects to sanitary sewer for outflow.

That pit never had a pump I'll bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X