X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pump not working

I have a Water Ace R16L 1 1/2 hp irrigation pump. It has worked okay in the past but started making quite a lot of noise recently. When it turned on last saturday, there's no more loud noise and it is not pumping water.

Re: pump not working

lots of noise indicates a problem with the motor (not fixable) or something with the impeller at the face of the pump. Open the face, if possible, check for a loose impeller or something jamming it up - stones, plastic, sticks or other debris. If the impeller is broken the pump is probably junk.

Edit: I could find a R15L pump. It looks like a basic shallow well jet pump?

Edit 2: The parts break down appears to show only housing gaskets. There doesn't look like there is any impeller protection for a run-dry situation. If there is no water the impeller could have been severely cavitating which results in pits, holes, or breakage. It could also be very warped.
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Loud noise generally means bearings are drying out and it's bare metal on metal. After a while, they get hot enough to simply seize. Next time the pump tries to start, the seized bearings won't let the motor start.

Water Ace is a cheap Myers pump and has the cheapest American made motor known to man. So I wouldn't waste any money trying to repair it. For us to put two bearings in a "good" motor it's $100.00 plus a new seal ($10.00). Add a couple hundred more and you can buy a good quality pump that would last a while and can be repaired and put back into service.
      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

good and very informative thread. looking for some more useful replies.

Comment

Working...
        X