X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Diverter Pipe Broken

While replacing the knobs and valve stems of my shower, I accidentally broke the diverter pipe.

Attachment

The diverter pipe broke at the stopper notch of the pipe while screwing on the escutcheon.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

The pipes are accessible from the other bathroom.

Attachment

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I'm hoping there's a low-effort solution like cutting off the broken end of the notched pipe and attached a new threaded end, but I don't know where to look if such pieces even exist. So although I may have to go with Plan B, I want to avoid soldering (I don't have a torch).

All advice is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Re: Shower Diverter Pipe Broken

Those threads are part of the cast body of the faucet. As they are broken off you must now replace the faucet.

You might be able to get the escutcheon glued back in place but the amount of force required to twist off the threads may have bent or cracked the casting. The possibility of a leak is high. Wall, floor, and ceiling (if located on the second floor) damage is a good probability.

The best option is to replace the faucet with a quality brand. Look for one with ceramic cartridges, if possible.
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

cant solder ? try a sharkbit fitting,,,,,,,or call a plumber
      Last edited by cheesehead plumber; 02-23-2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

The last picture shows very little if any access to the hot water side of the faucet thru the access panel. You might very well have to replace the faucet from the tub side. You would have to try and carefully remove the tiles and open the sheet rock. I would also suggest replacing with a single handle, pressure balance type faucet. The faucet you have now (2 or 3 handle) offer no scald protection.
        26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
          The faucet you have now (2 or 3 handle) offer no scald protection.
          Not an issue if it's my wife. 125 degrees isnt hot enough...
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
          X