Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad is this expansion tank location?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is this expansion tank location?

Hi,

I just recently noticed that the expansion tank in my house is installed like so

main water shutoff valve - > Pressure Relief Valve -> expansion tank -> cold water shutoff valve to water heater -> water heater

but from everything I've read it should be

main water shutoff valve - > Pressure Relief Valve -> cold water shutoff valve to water heater -> expansion tank -> water heater

Just how bad is it that it's not installed the latter? Is this something I should immediately fix?

Thanks everyone!

Re: How bad is this expansion tank location?

It's fine if you never shut off the source to the hot water tank and leave it in operation. Fix it at your leisure.

Do you really have a pressure relief valve in the water line or is it a reducing valve? Is it a reducing valve with backflow prevention?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Sorry, it's a pressure reducing valve! I guess I wouldnt really turn shut off the source to the hot water tank and leave it in operation, but from what I'm reading it would be nice for when the expansion tank needs replacing.

Comment

When the HWT goes bad, move and replace the expansion tank.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the location it will do its job. When replacing water lines here we have to install an expansion tank when there isn't one on the water heater. Sometimes depending on location it is better to put it on the main.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
            There is nothing wrong with the location it will do its job. When replacing water lines here we have to install an expansion tank when there isn't one on the water heater. Sometimes depending on location it is better to put it on the main.
            Awesome. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X