Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

PEX tubing leaking for no apparent reason. Need help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX tubing leaking for no apparent reason. Need help!

I live in a house that is 5 years old and has PEX plumbing throughout. About 3 years ago I had a leak develop in a vertical 3/4" pipe. It was in the middle (not at a joint) and it was as if a small pin hole had occurred. It started, stopped for a while, started again and is now stopped. It hasn't leaked for a year now.

Now I just found another leak in a vertical 1/2" pipe that goes to a toilet. It's as if someone punched a very small pin hole in 2 places in the pipe (again, not at a joint). It looks like the pipe is sweating in 2 places about 2" apart.

I though PEX was not supposed to leak? Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Is there a fast and inexpensive way to fix this leak? Glue? Clamp?

Thanks

Re: PEX tubing leaking for no apparent reason. Need help!

Do you have cedar bugs, or also known as stinkbugs they burrow into pex making a microscopic hole usually just a fine mist you can barely feel running your hand along the pipe, I have only had two cases, three leaks in one bathroom timberframe house that was only three years old. Found about two dozen dead bugs in the ceiling. Have heard of a few other instances. Do not leave it leaking a sharkbite coupling would fix it waithout any expensive tools. Or two minutes for someone with a crimp tool. What brand of pex do you have

Comment

It could also be that when the house was built the pex was left exposed to sunlight for an excessive amount of time. Though, usually, it will crack rather than have a pinhole.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

We had a bad run of wirsbo once, had to replace all of the 3/4 in the house. Sent samples back to uponor to make sure it wasn't chemical or uv damage
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          We had a bad run of wirsbo once, had to replace all of the 3/4 in the house. Sent samples back to uponor to make sure it wasn't chemical or uv damage
          What was their findings? About a year ago I did a string of repairs on apartments that were plumbed in Pex and used Nibco fittings....we sent back the fittings and was told it was a metalurgical failure....
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by marchboom View Post
            I live in a house that is 5 years old and has PEX plumbing throughout. About 3 years ago I had a leak develop in a vertical 3/4" pipe. It was in the middle (not at a joint) and it was as if a small pin hole had occurred. It started, stopped for a while, started again and is now stopped. It hasn't leaked for a year now.

Now I just found another leak in a vertical 1/2" pipe that goes to a toilet. It's as if someone punched a very small pin hole in 2 places in the pipe (again, not at a joint). It looks like the pipe is sweating in 2 places about 2" apart.

I though PEX was not supposed to leak? Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Is there a fast and inexpensive way to fix this leak? Glue? Clamp?

Thanks
            If there's no physical signs of damage I would have the water tested. Certain chemicals that water supply companies use to treat water can be damaging. Lots of different typrs of PEX, be sure yours is rated for domestic water and pressure.

Comment

Its been a couple of years but something to do with striations in the pipe, They looked normal, but yellowed very quickly with hot water run through them

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              What was their findings? About a year ago I did a string of repairs on apartments that were plumbed in Pex and used Nibco fittings....we sent back the fittings and was told it was a metalurgical failure....
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

thanks. i was looking for such information and thread

Comment

Working...
                X