Dain clearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dain clearing

I have been plumbing for many years but have very little experience in drain work. I have decided to branch out into the sewer/drain clogging service calls and have a pretty dumb question. I just recenlty looked into jetters and was curious about a line that is completely under water. I ran the camera down and I lose visual because I am fully submerged for several feet. My question: When you run into something like this can you run the jetter or is it worthless under water? Do I need to stick with a auger in this situation. Any advice is appreciated

Re: Dain clearing

Myself, I prefer snaking a stopped up line first.
    If you introduce water under pressure into a line that is already full of water,
    and it doesn't break the stoppage, then where will all that water go?

Comment

im no jetting expert but it goes the same place it always does - in the direction of the jets. Mr. AZ Plumb - if you have no experience in rough installations or how the plumbing is run you may want to consider a year or two with an expert before getting into jetting. Knowing "the HOW things are run" is a very important part of knowing HOW to run a jetter system.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I should have been more clear. The line is fine for nearly 30' then there is water. It can be many things, a clogged pipe, a break. a root invasion etc. I would be able to run water for a long time before it would back up. I am just curious as to whether a jetter is affective under water. I will just use a snake first. I was told I could ask questions on here without people trying to humilate me or sound superior.

Comment

Thank you Big Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Plumb View Post
            I should have been more clear. The line is fine for nearly 30' then there is water. It can be many things, a clogged pipe, a break. a root invasion etc. I would be able to run water for a long time before it would back up. I am just curious as to whether a jetter is affective under water. I will just use a snake first. I was told I could ask questions on here without people trying to humilate me or sound superior.

If your mechanical snake comes back polished then you know that you have stone or other hard material. The jetter, depending upon the size, may not be able to handle the hard material.

Of course you can ask questions here. Some people have superiority complexes and others don't. But, remember, your occupation states "plumber". There is no amount of experience or other information listed. We don't know what you do or don't know. My suggestion is a very important one. If you don't know how things are run you can get yourself into a heap of trouble or costs because of the lack of knowledge.

Wait for Plumber Rick to respond. He knows a large amount about jetters and their usage.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Plumber Punky, thank you I appreciate your help

Comment

If at all possible, jet upstream to the stoppage and then you have all the benifits with no hassels. But unless you're doing manhole to manhole, it's almost impossible from a cleanout.

Also a jetter compleatly submerged will loose some impact power like using a squirt gun underwater. But most cutting is done close to the nozzle. Waste water is an issue unless you are lower and can dispose of it. Also depending on the gpm, will dictate how much blowback. But more psi and gpm can also get you flowing much faster than a litte machine can. Also proper choice of nozzles and experiance can make it quick and easy to get it flowing.

All else fails, snake to get it flowing and jet to clean it out. Experiance will be your best bet.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you very much Rick.

Comment

Working...
                  X