X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice from you gents

My brother had a part failure on an Eternal hybrid system with 2months left on the warranty. They have given him a letter of intention that they will make necessary repairs to the system and all damage to the house also. This work will include repairing oak parquet flooring, replacing base/casing/door jambs as needed, opening walls and finishing them out after treatment, and anything else needed for full restoration.

I will be headed to Arlington, TX from San Antonio to oversee the work on his behalf and be the point of contact for contractors or anyone associated with onsite work. I might do some of the renovation work myself if it appears to be the best way to get it done right.

THE QUESTION IS THIS......

What can I do to make this as smooth as possible or what flags should get my attention that the process is failing?

I'm good at the construction side but I rarely work with insurance companies or warranty work. I might have other questions as things shake out and I weigh opinions.

The company that installed the unit will handle those repairs...it's mostly "everything else" that concerns me.

Re: Need some advice from you gents

The Eternal repair or replacement part should be an obvious thing if it's being done shadily. (Mr. Dhal22 needs to see this thread, in regards to his post Eternal.)

Hopefully there are some pictures, from family gatherings and such or insurance documentations, of the 'before'. This makes it easier to justify or rebut the 'after' if there are any concerns.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I will say that Eternal appears to be on top of things at this stage. Very concerned and moving quickly.

I just want to catch any problems at the earliest possible stages so my brother doesn't end up with substandard workmanship or a nightmare of issues that could be avoided by the observant.

Comment

Good for Eternal they're firefighting...don't want the rep some of the other manufacturer's have.

Make sure there are before and after pictures. Make sure proper permits are pulled, if needed. Call the local building dept. to ask. Make sure there is proper preparation and cleanup. Sloppy actions sometimes means sloppy workmanship. When do they show up, leave, and how many breaks? Well supplied? Prepared?
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My guess is that the PRESSURE SWITCH BLEW OUT and there was no pan installed under, and it was in the ATTIC. How did I do?

When dealing with the insurance company, Use the word Discovery a LOT. Part of the biggest cost is figuring out how far you have to go. They should pay for everything, but the actual Plumbing repair. One of things that I would point out, is that most of the reps were telling people that you do not need a pan under the unit, this was up until about 2 years ago. Eternal has had a selective memory in a lot of this stuff. Definitely get permits and inspections. Arlington is tough, and they are a bunch of good guys over there. Talk to them and they should help you out.
          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Oh my goodness, I should immediately remove all Eternal heaters we've installed and install a tank heater. I thought they were perfect.......... Water does less damage when it comes from a failed tank water heater? Ask the 3 customers that have had tank failures (under warranty) that I've had to deal with in the last 6 months. I think they would agree that all heater types can fail.

Sorry to hijack your thread Rofl, PlumberPunky and I are enjoying our tankless vs tank discussion. Good luck with dealing with Eternal, please keep us posted on the events.

David

Comment

Working...
            X