X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dripping sound in the wall

Dam albertans why don't u try Waking up at a descent hour ......like before 9-11 and it won't bother you any more...lol Jjk..sorry.

Re: Dripping sound in the wall

Is the chiminey made of metal?

Does your water heater have a circulating pump?

Your description sounds like expansion and contraction. Metal is growing and rubbing on other objects.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
      Dam albertans why don't u try Waking up at a descent hour ......like before 9-11 and it won't bother you any more...lol Jjk..sorry.
      Yes most of Us have done 4 hrs work By then ! DAD
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It could be condensation that is falling down the inside of the chimney or a roof leak. Because you havent seen any staining doesnt mean it isnt happening. Sometimes it takes a while for material to become water logged.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Here's another attempt on adding the video link.

EDIT: Finally the video link worked! See below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=PtVXiqHH7pA

Since my first post was deleted, here's a summarized version of it.

- Noticed dripping noises in the wall. The wall is not near a water source (i.e. washroom or sink), the only piping that might run in this wall is the chimney connecting the fireplace in the family room right below.
          - Dripping noises only occurs during morning hours (from around 9am to 11am), and usually only last for about 5-10 minutes.
          - Dripping noises is very sporadic and irregular, contradicting the expansion noises or pump noises that I read about on this board.
          - I cannot find any water stain/damages to family room ceiling; the family room is located right below my master bedroom, where I noticed the noise.
          - Video is taken by aiming the camera at a receptacle, between the headboard of my bed, and my night table.

Senior members and experts, please have a look at the video, and let me know what you think.

One thing that really baffles me is that I thought wall spaces are filled with insulation foam, so how can there be dripping sounds without any empty room to drip from??
          Last edited by BlueElectron; 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Still say expansion noise based on your timeframe.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Do you have vinyl windows or siding? If the sun hits the area between 9-11am, it could be the vinyl expanding. My new windows make a similar sound.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                Do you have vinyl windows or siding? If the sun hits the area between 9-11am, it could be the vinyl expanding. My new windows make a similar sound.
                Stucco spray on the wall, not vinyl siding, no window opening near the spot I heard the dripping either.

Comment

Couple of questions; How much of a temperature swing do you have in the mornings? Do the "Drips" occur at the same intensely with a mild swing compared to a stronger swing? Which direction is this wall facing in the mornings, East by chance?

Ron

Comment

Please tell me what happened to the original post?

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

its ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,missing????? you tube post did not work eighther,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                      Last edited by cheesehead plumber; 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Glad someone else saw that too, didn't think my medication was kicking in already.

Ron

Comment

My original post somehow disappeared after I edited it with a youtube link.

My 2nd post with the youtube link worked, I guess you have to do it with the "Insert link" function or else the board will perceive it as a spam and block the post.

Comment

Hello Ron:

A few answers to your question.

- Temperature during winter can change quite a bit here in Alberta, especially on a clear day with the sun up. I would say at least 5 degree Celsius of temperature difference can be observed.
                            - That particular wall is facing North East (64 degree North East as per my iPhone compass).
                            - Dripping intensity does differ, and now I think of it, more so when it's colder outside.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by BlueElectron View Post
                              Hello Ron:

A few answers to your question.

- Temperature during winter can change quite a bit here in Alberta, especially on a clear day with the sun up. I would say at least 5 degree Celsius of temperature difference can be observed.
                              - That particular wall is facing North East (64 degree North East as per my iPhone compass).
                              - Dripping intensity does differ, and now I think of it, more so when it's colder outside.

Tom
                              If I remember your original post correctly, didn't you say that there was a chimney on that wall? If so, could the flashing around it be expanding when warming and then telescoping the sound down the wall cavity? Kind or far fetched but it seems like there must be something that is expanding faster than what it is surrounded by.

My 2ยข

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X