X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Generator

Hey guys, I will be installing a 8Kw generac generator, I would like to put it about 10' from the house, Will need to bury the gas pipe, I got a Quote from a plumber for $1700 - $2000, just for the plumbers work does this seem right. I live In Massachusetts, Sandy soil, It will be piped from the basement with Natural Gas, out the sill, then buried 10'.

ty
    Last edited by johnny2154; 03-13-2013, 08:26 PM.

Re: Installing Generator

First of all I do not know any thing about pricing,

but your question is some what like saying I found a used car, is $1500 sound about right?

but the only three thing I know from your posts is
    your installing a 8kw generator, and
    two it is 10' away from the house, and
    the pipe is to be buried,

this does not tell me how much the distance is from the gas meter or propane tank, or what size of pipe is needed, or if the ground is frozen, or the pipe material is
    I have no Idea what is included in the bid, or the specifications, and what else is included in the price, the pad the generator sets on, or what, also what area or state your in, prices vary some from region to region,

a few more details may help some one else give a statment to if that is in the ball park or not,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

good points bhd.

do the grunt work by digging the soil and helping as needed. i bet if the plumber allows you to help and he bills you time and material, it will be much less than you were quoted.

an 8kw generator isn't much load. a 3/4'' or 1'' line is most likely the size he's running to the pad depending on the total distance and line pressure. make sure they properly account for the total demand of the line if they are pulling it from anywhere but the meter.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

make sure it is not the flexible style of pipe (CSST - corrugated stainless steel). Hard piping is necessary outdoors up to the flexible fitting supplied by the generator manufacturer.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by johnny2154 View Post
          Hey guys, I will be installing a 8Kw generac generator, I would like to put it about 10' from the house, Will need to bury the gas pipe, I got a Quote from a plumber for $1700 - $2000, just for the plumbers work does this seem right. I live In Massachusetts, Sandy soil, It will be piped from the basement with Natural Gas, out the sill, then buried 10'.

ty
          Why not get another quote or 2 from other plumbers in the area to see if this one is excessive (which it sorta seems).

Just an amateur's advice.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
            Why not get another quote or 2 from other plumbers in the area to see if this one is excessive (which it sorta seems).

Just an amateur's advice.
            That's good consumer advice, there could be all sorts of reasons the quote given is not accurate. The plumber might have given a low quote to get the job or he might have quoted high compared to others because he didn't want the job? Only way to be sure is to get a couple more quotes. makes sense to me. Frank

Comment

If you trust the plumber and has worked for you before tell him to go ahead quotes are a guessing game $1700 to $2000.00 is chicken feed

Tony

Comment

BHD and Rick are right, we cant tell s--- from the detail you have given. The only question to ask is do you trust the Plumber to deliver the required result whilst complying with all relevant codes. What dos the generator manufacturer think about dodgy tradesmen. Will he warrant a job done by a hack or similar. What happens if a hack doesn't size your gas line correctly and compromises your warranty and other. What will your house insurance have to say about warrantying a hacks work.

It is easy for us to justify using us but there are many things about us we never tell you and you don't see the real value, only what you have to pay. Think about all of the benefits we give you and the price becomes more realistic

Comment

Working...
                X