X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOTO math?

I see a lot of TOTO 3" falpers go bad Why? Many Kholers too. What is the weight on a 3" flap in a tank. Do you figure by the whole tank at 8 lbs per gal or only a 3" cylinder however high the water level is?

Re: TOTO math?

the idea is a quick strong flush instead of a longer weaker flush.

the newer flappers for the 1.28 have the float. the 1.6 still have the chain and some have a hard plastic tube over the few links of chain.

the red is the g-max flapper and the blue is the power graviy. i think the green is the newer cyclone flush.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Just the 3" cylinder

Originally posted by Reardon View Post
      I see a lot of TOTO 3" falpers go bad Why? Many Kholers too. What is the weight on a 3" flap in a tank. Do you figure by the whole tank at 8 lbs per gal or only a 3" cylinder however high the water level is?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I tell every new toilet customer to hold the handle.
        That would make a soft flapper landing

Comment

I've installed a few hundred Toto's and don't recall a lot of flappers going bad.

David

Comment

The first design with the large "wing" had problems with breakage. The newer ones appear to be susceptible to chlorine/-amine in the water supply. Maybe a poor quality of rubber or something.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
              I've installed a few hundred Toto's and don't recall a lot of flappers going bad.

David
              i had my first service call on a skirted toto toilet,,,,,,,,kohler is king in wisconsin,,,,,,the homeowner informed me that it was only 3 years old old,and leaking on the floor,,,,,,not leaking around floor seal,,,,not a wax ring on this model,,,,found water leaking threw concealed trapway,,,,so this toilet bowl is junk ,,,,,,only 3 yrs. old. my ??? is what has been your experience with leaking toiet bowls on toto toilets with skirted bowls????

Comment

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
                i had my first service call on a skirted toto toilet,,,,,,,,kohler is king in wisconsin,,,,,,the homeowner informed me that it was only 3 years old old,and leaking on the floor,,,,,,not leaking around floor seal,,,,not a wax ring on this model,,,,found water leaking threw concealed trapway,,,,so this toilet bowl is junk ,,,,,,only 3 yrs. old. my ??? is what has been your experience with leaking toiet bowls on toto toilets with skirted bowls????
                I've only had bowls leak right out of the box or because someone was hammering a closet auger though it.

Comment

I prefer to check a toilet install, then recheck, then triple check, then quadruple check, then check again. Eliminates a lot manufacturing defects, forgotten steps, loose connections, etc. I've installed a few Aquia's, etc, never a problem.

David

Comment

Dahl you've never seen the red Toto flappers fail and fall past the flush valve seat? Toto is good but not perfect.
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X