Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Repaired Sewer Line Now Holding Water......Who is responsible????? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repaired Sewer Line Now Holding Water......Who is responsible?????

Hello,

I will try to keep this as simple as possible.

I had a sewer line back-up in my house. Plumber (A) came out, did a video inspection, and showed me that there was a break in the line about 5-10 feet from my house. I went ahead and had the repair done. He dug up the ground and replaced about 10 feet of new 4 inch pvc.

A few weeks later I had the same type of back-ups again. I called a different plumber (B). He did another video inspection and he showed me that the line where the repair was done was full of water. He said it was back pitched and that it never shoud have been repaired like that. He also said that this was basic plumbing 101.

I called the original plumber (A). He told me that with a small repair like that, there would be no way to correct the pitch. He said that in order to fix it he would have did up more ground and work with a larger section of pipe to change the ptich.

Here are the questions:

If you are making a repair on 5-10 feet of pipe can you add the correct pitch if there was none before? Plumber (B) said no problem.

Should plumber (A) have looked and tried to correct the pitch or was it just his responsibiltiy just to fix the broken pipe.

I am really lost here. On the one hand how can you leave the repaired pipe full of water, but on the other hand, was it really his responsibility to correct pitch problems as well as the crack.

Any advice?

Mike

Re: Repaired Sewer Line Now Holding Water......Who is responsible?????

The crack let the water drain into the ground
    once the first plumber cut the pipe all he could do is connect the 2 ends back together, he didn't take your pitch away
    it might be time for a new sewer , more digging for sure

Comment

Sounds like plumber A didn't feel comfortable telling you the bad news and tried to do the best he could with what he dug out.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Plumber A should of told you that entire line should of been dug up. Whoever originally installed the sewer line didn't properly backfill the trench in 6" lifts.

Comment

No offense but why didnt you call plumber A back out when it backed up again? That is kind of a slap in his face to call someone else. With that said, he should have told you that there was a pitch problem when he dug it up, as he would have found that issue as soon as he went to hook the two ends together. Unless you told him to just fix the cracked pipe and mentioned money was an issue, I dont see why he wouldnt have said anything. If you would have called plumber A back first and asked him why it was causing a problem he probably would have worked with you to hatch a repair plan and been easy on you, but if he side stepped the problem, then you call the second plumber and try to recoup any money from plumber A for the repair needed. Either way, Plumber A should have told you about the back pitch problem when he dug it up.

Comment

Plumber B is a complete retard if he thinks he can correct a pitch with 2 immovable points that already point in the wrong direction.

Plumber A *may* be in the wrong but we only have your say-so with the details you have given. I won't condemn plumber A without knowing his side/all the info.

I would think that a slight back pitch would hinder flow but not stop it up all the time. It would have to be pretty bad to stop the solids' flow. Also, has anything changed in recent history? The ground saturated? Frozen deeper than normal? Heavy equipment passing thru on the road? How far is it down? The problem may have been there all the time or this shift of pitch may be recent BUT the break in the pipe has revealed it. I would think that if the proper, smooth repair has been made and the problem recurs then the pipe change is recent. Something shifted underground. A re-pitch or reset may be needed from the house to the main. At that time you can see if the pipe exiting the house was set too low.

Edit: I forgot - Plumber A is only responsible for what the contract stated. There was a signed contract, right?
            Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
              Plumber B is a complete retard if he thinks he can correct a pitch with 2 immovable points that already point in the wrong direction.

Plumber A *may* be in the wrong but we only have your say-so with the details you have given. I won't condemn plumber A without knowing his side/all the info.

I would think that a slight back pitch would hinder flow but not stop it up all the time. It would have to be pretty bad to stop the solids' flow. Also, has anything changed in recent history? The ground saturated? Frozen deeper than normal? Heavy equipment passing thru on the road? How far is it down? The problem may have been there all the time or this shift of pitch may be recent BUT the break in the pipe has revealed it. I would think that if the proper, smooth repair has been made and the problem recurs then the pipe change is recent. Something shifted underground. A re-pitch or reset may be needed from the house to the main. At that time you can see if the pipe exiting the house was set too low.

Edit: I forgot - Plumber A is only responsible for what the contract stated. There was a signed contract, right?

I agree as this would not have happened again in weeks unless it's very severe. I think something else is going on.................

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                No offense but why didnt you call plumber A back out when it backed up again? That is kind of a slap in his face to call someone else. With that said, he should have told you that there was a pitch problem when he dug it up, as he would have found that issue as soon as he went to hook the two ends together. Unless you told him to just fix the cracked pipe and mentioned money was an issue, I dont see why he wouldnt have said anything. If you would have called plumber A back first and asked him why it was causing a problem he probably would have worked with you to hatch a repair plan and been easy on you, but if he side stepped the problem, then you call the second plumber and try to recoup any money from plumber A for the repair needed. Either way, Plumber A should have told you about the back pitch problem when he dug it up.
                Alphacowboy nailed it.

Plumber A should have been able to properly diagnoise the problem with the camera. But lets say he couldn't get past the stoppage and did the repair without running a full camera inspection. He then should have brought to your attantion the fact that the line was flat or backgraded before he finished and buried the repair.

Sure the first guy didn't do the original install, but he has the responsibly to inform you of an issue with the system and not just bury it.

Would be interesting to read his contract and writeup of the job.

And yes, your obligation as the owner was to contact plumber a first. At least to give him a chance to correct or explain himself.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                  The crack let the water drain into the ground
                  once the first plumber cut the pipe all he could do is connect the 2 ends back together, he didn't take your pitch away
                  it might be time for a new sewer , more digging for sure
                  Delcase had it right also, with the break the water could drain out so on camera it might not have looked too bad but once it got all sealed up anything is possible. But the connections had to be put back together for better or worse. But the bad news should have been presented to make a decision on.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Woot, I'm not even a plumber and I knew what should have been done!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                      Woot, I'm not even a plumber and I knew what should have been done!
                      It was more ETHICS than plumbing !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

People call me out to diagnose , then call the unticketed guy to come fix, bugs me but I make sure I bill gor diagnoses and know I have future work later repairing his band aids..

Comment

I agree with AssTyme, sounds like something else is going on. If it is newer construction, you may have some recourse with the builder.
                          Could plumber A have used the wrong type of PVC pipe and backfilled it without supporting the pipe? I'm not sure if you could get that much deflection in a 10' length to cause a backup.
                          We did a lot of work in Montville in the 90's and anyone with a hammer was calling himself a builder, and anyone with a backhoe was doing site work.
                          Last edited by tchads; 03-18-2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

how far did they video the line, was the line cleaned during the process,

is it possible that the line is plugged further down and it is just backing up?

and an if there is just a belly in the one point, is/was the the replacement pipe straight? I have seen a lot of pipe that crooked like a dogs hing leg

on the second video how deep is the water in the pipe? I am not saying it is not back pitched, but to replug up in a few weeks on a level section of 10 foot, or even if it a few tens of an inch up, I can not comperhend how it could be so bad that it would create a back up under normal conditons in that short of time, if before it had been working for months or years before with the broken pipe, for some reason I wonder if you have a second problem further down the line,

I guess I fine it some what difficulty in thinking you go for years no problem and then a back up ("fix the pipe") and back up again in a few weeks, as if there is a belly in the pipe it would have been there for a long time, if the pipe is not pitched correctly,

I am no expert here and I may be totally off here,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                            X