Ridgid pipe cutter No 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid pipe cutter No 1

I have a pipe cutter unlike any I have ever seen before, and I can't find any info on it, even from Ridgid. It is marked No.1 on the body, and No. 1 and 2 on the wheel carriage. This one has what appears to be a stainless steel body, carriage, and handle. It is definitely NOT aluminum, as it attracts a magnet, but not as strongly as ordinary steel. It is also way too heavy to be aluminum.

Does anyone know anything about this cutter?

Re: Ridgid pipe cutter No 1

The cutter you probably have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ridgid-No-1-...20963090679%26

Edit: the newer 1-A cutter: Heavy-Duty Pipe Cutters - RIDGID Professional Tools
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I got this one from a retired plumber 30 years ago, I always thought the body was aluminum, got a reamer with it also still use it today
      Its a # 2

Comment

I wouldn't mind knowing how old mine is either

Comment

The cutter shown in the picture is from the mid to late 1930’s. RIDGID Pipe Cutters and Die Heads from the 1930’s were made from what at the time was known as a “pot metal”. The term "pot metal" came about due to the practice at automobile factories in the early 20th century of gathering up all non-ferrous metal scraps from the manufacturing processes and throwing them into one pot to be melted and then formed into cast products. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium.

RIDGID went away from pot metal to steel in the early 1940's.

We went to a steel cutter in the early 1940’s.

Comment

Thanks ToolMan

It was a good mix no rust after all the years of being around

Comment

Working...
            X