cast iron pvc hub gasket question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast iron pvc hub gasket question

I am builder renovating a house to sell. I have a slab that has radiant heat in it, so cannot jackhammer whole slab to replace cast iron. I have a cast iron hub on the end of a trap. I want to switch to PVC. I have a rubber casget and can put it in the hub and then bang in a piece of pvc pipe. However the inspector came out and pulled the pipe out of the gasket and said I need to use a PVC adabpter that has a rib at the bottom so the pvc cannot be pulled out. For the life of me I cannont get the adaptor in the gasket and then the gasket into the bell. If I stick the gasket in first I cannot get the pvc adapter with the rib (nipple) at the end all the way to the bottom as the gasket bottoms out at the bottom of the bell. I have gone through two gasket trying to use various blunt object to push in the gaske with the pvc in it buy hammering around the gasket working it in around the edges. Do they make different size gaskets?

Thanks

Steve

Re: cast iron pvc hub gasket question

In wisconsin i have used a rubber gasket that fits inside a cast iron hub,,,,the gasket has multiple ribs made by fernco i believe,,,,just bevel the end of the pipe and push or hammer it in,,,,,,,past inspection,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also it code to pour lead and oakum around a pvc adapter that fits insde a cast iron hub,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also you can pour a lead and oakum joint around schedule 80 pvc pipe

Comment

Thanks Cheeshead. Unfortunately the code states that you cannot stick the pipe directly into the gasket. You need to use a pvc adapter that has a rib at the end so it will not pull out of the gasket. That is what I am trying to figure out how to install! Driving me crazy.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by trouble View Post
        Thanks Cheeshead. Unfortunately the code states that you cannot stick the pipe directly into the gasket. You need to use a pvc adapter that has a rib at the end so it will not pull out of the gasket. That is what I am trying to figure out how to install! Driving me crazy.

Thanks
        They do make sightly different size gaskets but if it has a rib on the end you won't be able to push it through the gasket. I'm not sure what your inspector is looking for. If the plain end pipe is fully seated inside a properly sized gasket it won't leak. The do make an adhesive lubricant for just this kind of thing. That old trap probably had a poured lead joint. You should go back with that using a PVC adapter. It definately won't pull out when he pulls on it. Some Fairfax inspectors can be a real pain.

Comment

Thanks ,

So you think I should just put a piece of grey pipe in and pour a new lead seal. Then screw plastic to that?

Makes could sense. Can I use 60/40 lead alloy and melt it in with a torch, or do I need to use molten lead and a ladle?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            They do make sightly different size gaskets but if it has a rib on the end you won't be able to push it through the gasket. I'm not sure what your inspector is looking for. If the plain end pipe is fully seated inside a properly sized gasket it won't leak. The do make an adhesive lubricant for just this kind of thing. That old trap probably had a poured lead joint. You should go back with that using a PVC adapter. It definately won't pull out when he pulls on it. Some Fairfax inspectors can be a real pain.

I've used the lead replacement stuff. Works great. Comes in small caulk gun tubes in gray or tan. It's called "liquid lead" or something similar to that. Do not get it on your skin...it comes off with a belt sander. It's like an epoxy and hardens like real lead. AND he won't be able to pull it out.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
            X