Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Mom Shocked in Shower by Stray Electricity Gets $4M From SoCal Edison Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom Shocked in Shower by Stray Electricity Gets $4M From SoCal Edison

Mom Shocked in Shower by Stray Electricity Gets $4M From SoCal Edison | NBC Southern California

Were the copper water pipes properly grounded?
    The ground may be what picked up the stray electrical currents!
    As a cure, could the water pipes be electrically connected to the drain lines to avoid any voltage potential between water pipes and drains?
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-23-2013, 08:58 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Mom Shocked in Shower by Stray Electricity Gets $4M From SoCal Edison

This is more of an electrical question. The water and gas lines should be bonded to the main electrical panel. These are the wire clamps and bare copper cables one commonly sees in a house. Improper bonding can be a hazard when the main neutral becomes compromised and other parts of equipment not normally HOT become energized. (This is a simplified answer, I'm a plumber not an electrician.)
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Interesting first I heard of it. Pretty close to home 20 miles.

Just reading the article, sounds like the lady won the lottery. Just reading the news script edison got shafted and should appeal.

Another way to beat the system.

I'm off to mcdonalds for some hot coffee and then a hot shower, I can use the money

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

This was discussed no electriciantalk.com . Why did She continue to take showers.knowing She would get shocked each time ? This may been stray voltage from the substation . It brings up the old question of tying grounds and neutrals in service box
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

if one reads on the stray voltage on farms, (animals apparently more suitable to it than people) many or most of the time it has to do with the high voltage transmission lines and that they tie there ground to the low voltage ground at the meter pole and any voltage trying to find it way back to the substation is on the ground of the house if the house is in it path, simple explanation below,
          Stray voltage is excess, low-level current that flows through grounding wires off electric company transmission lines. Instead of being harmlessly dispersed through the earth and returning to the power substation -- as designed -- the current may take a ``path of least resistance'' along telephone and cable television wiring, through metal fences and farm equipment.Cows become a link in the electrical circuit when they step on damp floors or eat out of stainless steel feeders that stray voltage is passing through. Faulty wiring or electrical equipment on farms can also produce harmful stray voltage.

Northeast Utilities officials say they recognize the existence of stray voltage and will do whatever necessary to fix the problem -- once they're convinced it is emanating from the utility's side of the distribution system. The electric meter is the demarcation point: Anything causing stray voltage on the customer's side of the meter is the customer's responsibility, utility officials say.

At the Scanlon farm, cows were losing weight, producing deformed or stillborn calves and giving less milk. The family lost its license to sell milk when tests showed too high a somatic cell count in the herd, indicating infections in the cow udders.

The family would not disclose its financial loss, but Louise Scanlon said, ``It was not unusual to find an animal dead every day.''

After examining and changing every aspect of their farming technique in an attempt to find the problem, the Scanlons found 3 volts of electricity were flowing through the metal equipment and fittings in the milking parlor and barn.

Connecticut Light & Power tried several mitigation techniques, without success. Finally, an isolation transformer installed on the transmission line did away with most of the stray voltage at the farm.
          Stray Voltage A Threat To Farmers' Livelihood - Hartford Courant
          but rather than fix the problem at the power companies side they want the home owner to put a equipotential grid in to bring ever thing up to that voltage potential, this what all this bonding basically equivalents to. it can come from the customers side as well but many times it is not.

but power companies do not have that problem is the most common answer a customer gets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

but the fix may have been as simple as bonding the water lines and the drain to the ground, regardless to where the or how the stray voltage came from.
          Last edited by BHD; 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just try this one weird trick, discovered by a single mom, to prevent stray voltage!
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              Just try this one weird trick, discovered by a single mom, to prevent stray voltage!
              u
              That was a weird trick alright--she turned into a dyson cleaner!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                u
                That was a weird trick alright--she turned into a dyson cleaner!!
                Now we know what ACE does on Saturdays " DYSON DEMOES "
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

just blows my mind. 4 mil from electric co because her house isn't wired right (how is that their problem?), and it MIGHT have led to her 'nerve damage'. what a bunch of bs. "My shower head is a tiny bit live! woo hoo! I win the lottery!" boy I hate people. Wonder if she like her mcdonalds coffee nice and hot?
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Ace ,not so snarkey ! A good looking Lad Like You could could hook up with 4 Mil ! Think How many Pumpers You'd have In the drive , Up on the HILL !!

Comment

I cannot understand how its the power suppliers fault here where I live the power suppliers responsibility ends at the house meter and from there on its the owner responsibility and there electrian who wired the house

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        Interesting first I heard of it. Pretty close to home 20 miles.

Just reading the article, sounds like the lady won the lottery. Just reading the news script edison got shafted and should appeal.

Another way to beat the system.

I'm off to mcdonalds for some hot coffee and then a hot shower, I can use the money

Rick.
                        Sorry Rick Maccas have got you covered now. They case where the bloke died on the roundabout after spilling his coffee in his lap and having an accident was the cruncher I believe. Cant legislate for total morons I say.......!!!
                        Mind you there are always many waiting for us to dig a hole so they can fall in it. Problem is we aren't quick enough to fill it in with them inside it.

Comment

House was originally built by SCE for its employees.

But problem didn't start until after the current owner had work done by a contractor they hired.

Seems to me she should be looking there first for the source of her problem.

Get another electrician in there to check it out before running to the courthouse with your lawyer.

Catch the one liner about her losing the house to foreclosure? How is that the fault of SCE.

Maybe she was ready to lose the place anyway and saw this path as a way out.

I blame the jury as much as the women bringing the suit.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X