Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX question?

the houses back gorund,
    I am in the process of updating the kitchen in our home, the house was built in about 1903, it was built about 100 yard to the west of it current location, and then moved a few years later when they proved up on the homestead,

In the process of the kitchen fix, I took up the floor to level it , (back to the moving) they put 2x14 or 16 planks under the house at various locations and put some on the ground and put down pipe and pulled it with horses, and it is setting on foundation about 6" up out of the ground, if your 20 years old and do not weigh much over 125 pounds you can fit under there and move around some, if you have an entrenching shovel to dig a small path, well I am over 20 and weigh more than 125 pounds.

simply stated there is not enough room for me to get under the house any more. at lest in my comfort zone,

while the floor is up the thought crossed my mine replace the water lines,
    they were put in, about 47, and are galvanized steel, and all 1/2 pipe,

Now the question is?
    should I run a separate run to each fixture or just Tee off of a main line,

the water comes in on the south end of the house, which is about 30 foot from the water heater(north end of house),
    the bath room is over where the water comes in, and the kitchen is in the middle of the water heater and bath room, (fixtures, tub, free standing shower, and sink in bath room)

all are in a straight line,

I guess I am thinking more about the hot water than the cold,

my thoughts are seperate line ot kitchen, and one line to the bath, Teed off to each,

cloths Washer and upstairs bath are tied in at the water heater and go over head, in copper,

your thoughts.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: PEX question?

I'd replace both hot and cold no matter which way you decided to run it.

Comment

Replace both hot and cold. For simplicity's sake run one larger pipe as a manifold, 1" for example. At each fixture location, tee off at whatever size you need. The only run that you may want to consider an individual one would be for the washer machine.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

If you're re-plumbing I'd suggest you use 3/4" pex for the runs and stub out to 1/2" to fit the
        faucets etc.
        I'd also suggest you establish a manifold system kitchen, bathroom, water heater, etc.

This allows for several benefits:

1. you can easily isolate an area for servicing

2. the person taking a shower will thank you

3. eliminating tees etc will eliminate potential failures as
        running full runs to one item ie, sink, tub etc will ensure maximum flow and pressure

We have pex here and a manifold system, it's been flawless and it's over 5 years old.

Cactus Man

Comment

1 would try to run a a manifold from the heater with 1/2" dedicated runs. This will allow for a quicker draw of hot water. You could combine a bathroom sink with the shower as it will help to speed up delivery. But oversizing the hot will cost you waiting time and lost water.

Cold isn't a concern with wait time.

Don't you need to be concerned with freezing weather?

Pex is cheap enough and easy enough to run a return line back if you ever want to install a circulating pump to prevent freezing.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Don't you need to be concerned with freezing weather?
            Shouldn't be any more or less of a concern as the metal pipes run under the floor now? Wouldn't hurt to insulate below but not above the pipes though (house heat radiates thru the flooring to the pipes).
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thank you for your replies,

yes I have to be concerned about freezing, but only a few times have we had the under the house freeze, and that has been when the temps are negative 30 and the wind 40 mph out of the south, and normally when we get conditions like that we let drip or a light run, and since the water enters on one end and basically one faucet dripping nearly allows all lines to be moving except for that goes to a fixture,

my be I am wrong here, but one reason I considered pex as I am guessing it will take a freeze with out splitting if necessary, where I have seen copper split if it just thinks it cold, really the old steel pipe has been good that way of not splitting.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Since once you close the floor back up you will not be able to get at any of the plumbing, I would run separate lines (hot and cold) to each fixture with a manifold in an accessible location. I would also replace the drains.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                  Since once you close the floor back up you will not be able to get at any of the plumbing, I would run separate lines (hot and cold) to each fixture with a manifold in an accessible location. I would also replace the drains.
                  it is not impossible to get to, but not very easy even for a skinny person, but it would be very hard for me now, but it is much easer to work through the floor then from under it,

I am planing on running separate runs to each fixture for both hot and cold, (I will probably split off the shower and tub on one run)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Have you thought about running plastic electrical flex as a conduit to allow for future replacement and provide some insulation?

The blue plastic 3/4" flex should allow for 1/2" pex to be pulled through. It will then insulate the pipe from cold air and protect from uv light.

Might be worth a try on the long run and see if it pays to do the whole project.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      Have you thought about running plastic electrical flex as a conduit to allow for future replacement and provide some insulation?

The blue plastic 3/4" flex should allow for 1/2" pex to be pulled through. It will then insulate the pipe from cold air and protect from uv light.

Might be worth a try on the long run and see if it pays to do the whole project.

Rick.
                      no I have not but am considering it now, would also protect it from possible mice chewing, but I am not sure where I can find it around here, and it would include another 100 mile drive, I would have to do some calling,
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I kinda did a take off of Ricks idea, went looking around the farm for some thing and I could have used black poly pipe, but I looked up in the rafters of the barn I had, few sticks of sewer drain pipe 4" I brought two of them up to the house and worked them under the floor and they go basically where NO MANS land is under there, strapped them up to the floor joists, to keep things off the ground,

If needed one can get to each end, and either pull or push more or replace if ever needed, but will allow a path way between the two ends of the house,

Thank you all for your ideas and guidance,

the cabinets are about done as well, the uppers are done, one is up, and the other just needs to be put up,

Once under the house is done, I will do the slate we plan on using for a back splash, and once that is done I can put up the range hood, and the lower cabinets, the Cabinets are out of elm wood, that I sawed locally,
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

There is a good article on running hot water lines- manifolds vs home runs, using too large of pipe size and wasting hot water, etc.
                          in the March edition of the Journal of Light Construction.

Comment

Working...
                          X