X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-plumbing a upper and lower unit of a condo

I need to re-plumb my condo because of polybutylene piping. I live in a building with only one unit below me and my neighbor and I have decided to do the re-plumb at the same time. The plumber that we have been talking with wants to run both our pipes through the down stairs unit and drop her pipes down and have mine going up into my unit rather than re-pipe mine through the ceiling as they are now. Are there any potential problems with this re-plumb (I'm re-plumbing in copper). It worries me that my pipes would be in her ceiling and I'd have to go into her unit if a problem occurred, but maybe I'm over thinking this

Re: re-plumbing a upper and lower unit of a condo

Honestly, that's the best and least costly way. I assume that you will have a seperate cold shut off for the 2 units? So it would be basically parallel lines hot and cold?

Only issue i see is drilling and potentially a little noise for your neighbor below when you run large fixtures, tubs. Insulate well and the patching will be minimum to your unit above.

Did they quote you on pex and if so what's the cost difference?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would consider PEX as an option. Uponor claims to be 8x quieter than copper. Also I find it much faster to install.

Comment

Here's what happens to pex when it gets too hot.
        This piece was removed from a hotel room, connected to a
        small Titan tankless unit. Somehow the heater must have gotten stuck.
        What's scary is that all the hotel rooms have these heaters.Click image for larger version

Name:	1367b1e83d8304bd5e5d61044afc5879.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	17349

Comment

No condo association rules? I would get a written agreement on that re-pipe between you and your neighbor.Have it signed, notarized and have to be disclosed upon sale of property. Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
          X