X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propress pressing tools

Guys - I'm seriously debating adding a propress tool to my tool collection. I have another bathroom remodel coming up on which it would be useful and possibly useful to have around generally.

Since this is for limited use a possibility would be to get a used one and hopefully it should hold up for my needs.

I see the two main brands are Ridgid and Milwaukee. I already have some M18 tools but the M18 propress looks like it's for bigger jobs and more pricey - the one that people seem to be getting is the M12 version so it's probably not much use I have the M18 system.

Any pros/cons between the two. Any other brands around worth looking at.

Re: Propress pressing tools

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! hack tools!!!
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

wait until end of april. i'll be at legoland and can bring some new and used ones to you to look at or buy.
      might be willing to sell you a good used propress 100. will do up to 1.25'' with press rings. or 1/2- 1'' with jaws.

i have larger units up to 2'' or 4'' but unless you live in a large building. 1.25'' is typically large enough for single family homes.

how far is legoland from you? can meet and greet.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        wait until end of april. i'll be at legoland and can bring some new and used ones to you to look at or buy.
        might be willing to sell you a good used propress 100. will do up to 1.25'' with press rings. or 1/2- 1'' with jaws.

i have larger units up to 2'' or 4'' but unless you live in a large building. 1.25'' is typically large enough for single family homes.

how far is legoland from you? can meet and greet.

rick.
        I'd be interested. Part of the reason for thinking about it is that I've having some difficulty sweating off the hose bib in the other thread - even with a flame guard it's hard to protect the OSB and building paper it's too close so I was planing to do the repair from inside but even there sweating is tricky due to all the insulation. So that got me thinking about propress as the solution and possibly be useful for close quarters work in the future. I can wait but we are having so little rain Id like to do it sooner rather than later.

Can switch to PM if you want to talk specifics about selling your propress.

Comment

I'm going to try and cut off the frozen hose connector on that bib for now to get the water back into service. I can then wait and investigate Rick's propress tools or alternative propress options.

Comment

You can buy a lot of service calls from a qualified plumber for what you're about to spend on pro press.

For someone with the right experience, that hose bibb job would be a cake walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
              You can buy a lot of service calls from a qualified plumber for what you're about to spend on pro press.

For someone with the right experience, that hose bibb job would be a cake walk.
              Propress tools are available for rent for a lot less than hiring someone - I'm considering getting it as I see value in owning one for future jobs as well as the bib job mentioned.

Comment

I happened to come across the Milwaukee rep today at a supply house. The propress tool he had was for pipe up to 2". I found the tool to be excessively heavy. Not something I'd want to use all day for sure. He said they do make smaller versions for up to 1.5"

He didn't have the thermal cam on hand but said I can get it for $2200.
                ~~

Comment

I managed to cut off the old frozen connector on the bib and had do a few things like having to pack the stem which had started leaking but for a few $ it is back in service for now while I figure out the long term solution and looking at propress tools. So yes Rick let me know your SD plans and whether you will be bringing those propress tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                    I happened to come across the Milwaukee rep today at a supply house. The propress tool he had was for pipe up to 2". I found the tool to be excessively heavy. Not something I'd want to use all day for sure. He said they do make smaller versions for up to 1.5"

He didn't have the thermal cam on hand but said I can get it for $2200.
                    That may have been the M18 tool - I've seen photos and it looks quite bulky. The M12 one looks smaller.However, the price on the M18 was a lot higher than what you mention unless they are bringing it down.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      That may have been the M18 tool - I've seen photos and it looks quite bulky. The M12 one looks smaller.However, the price on the M18 was a lot higher than what you mention unless they are bringing it down.
                      Yes, it was the M18. It had a tag on it for $2650. The thermal cam was $2200.
                      ~~

Comment

Working...
                      X