X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a field as industrial plumbing

Is there such a field as industrial plumbing? Like in the chemical industry or oil industry, are plumbers employed within that field?

What about in power plants? They do use water in power plants. Most electric generating stations are just fancy tea kettles with a turbine on top of the whistle LOLZ. Well at least the coal and oil burning ones.

I am interested in getting into the plumbing trade. I would like to know more especially the plumbing done on the grand scale.

What about water parks/amusement parks? Many of their rides are themed around water. Are plumbers involved with that as well?

Re: Is there such a field as industrial plumbing

plumbers and pipe fitters are employed at the examples you mentioned.

back in the late 90's i worked at disneyland/ california adventure for a couple weeks doing underground pipe locating. same company did a large scale ride at universal studios.

did lots of work at industrial, manufacturing complexes over the years. even at lax and aerospace complexes.

plumbing is everywhere and plumbers are needed there.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

While the skills needed for each overlap in many areas the knowledge and many of the tools used by plumbers and pipefitters is different. The basics of working with pipe are the same, but a PF does not have much use for the plumbing code and may or may not know all the particulars needed to plumb a house correctly say. He can run the pipe mechanically correct maybe and make sound joints but not have an understanding of the principles that make a plumbing system work.

OTOH a PF would be more familiar with large bore piping, working with process fluids other than water or steam, larger scale mechanical equipment, and the specialties that go along with them. A PF will do more rigging and welding than a plumber is likely to do on average and work with larger pieces of equipment/heavier loads and most times in larger facilities such as those you asked about.

On many construction sites there is need for both.

In an industrial setting you will find more fitters than plumbers. In residential and light industrial work its usually the other way around. There are many working in the trade who work both more or less equally and have a good knowledge of both specialties in the pipe trades.

Who does what is divided more on what the piping system is used for than just on the fact that water is the process fluid, or some other liquid or gas for that matter.

Generally speaking people outside the trade will refer to anyone working with pipe as a plumber, but it just ain't so. Just as with electrical work where there are many specspecialties within the trade such as linemen, inside and outside wiremen, and so on. There are people who prefer a particular slice of the trade and choose to work just that, and for many of these areas the knowledge required to be proficient can more or less require you to specialize or concentrate in one area of the trade. They may and often do have knowledge outside that area where they choose to work, but doing so does not make them less of a tradesmen for the choice they made.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        While the skills needed for each overlap in many areas the knowledge and many of the tools used by plumbers and pipefitters is different. The basics of working with pipe are the same, but a PF does not have much use for the plumbing code and may or may not know all the particulars needed to plumb a house correctly say. He can run the pipe mechanically correct maybe and make sound joints but not have an understanding of the principles that make a plumbing system work.

OTOH a PF would be more familiar with large bore piping, working with process fluids other than water or steam, larger scale mechanical equipment, and the specialties that go along with them. A PF will do more rigging and welding than a plumber is likely to do on average and work with larger pieces of equipment/heavier loads and most times in larger facilities such as those you asked about.

On many construction sites there is need for both.

In an industrial setting you will find more fitters than plumbers. In residential and light industrial work its usually the other way around. There are many working in the trade who work both more or less equally and have a good knowledge of both specialties in the pipe trades.

Who does what is divided more on what the piping system is used for than just on the fact that water is the process fluid, or some other liquid or gas for that matter.

Generally speaking people outside the trade will refer to anyone working with pipe as a plumber, but it just ain't so. Just as with electrical work where there are many specspecialties within the trade such as linemen, inside and outside wiremen, and so on. There are people who prefer a particular slice of the trade and choose to work just that, and for many of these areas the knowledge required to be proficient can more or less require you to specialize or concentrate in one area of the trade. They may and often do have knowledge outside that area where they choose to work, but doing so does not make them less of a tradesmen for the choice they made.
        Yes Bob Plumbers are needed everywhere. Unfortunately we aren't appreciated as we should be though. Down under here we need to become Engineers before we get any respect. Judges and Ambulance chasing Solicitors think that we don't know what we are talking about. Mind you when you do a unblock for them we smile knowing full well just how full of Sh1t they really are. Of course they are always the first to ***** about price and last to pay full price.
        Also down here the building sites are really just a big kindergarten for those that couldn't cut it for themselves.
        Yeah we have some interesting parts to our trade down here which unfortunately is at threat of being destroyed by the RED-HEADED KAMAKAZI and her band of merry losers......!!!
        Come on Tony follow my lead.

Comment

How much of the heavy duty in house industrial piping (repair or modifications) would be done by the millwright trades and not plumbers or pipe fitters? I am thinking there may be more of them on staff in an industrial setting than a plumber or pipe fitter.

Comment

Is the Union the only way to get the training I need? Or are there private schools? Which is a better bang for the buck?

Also, I am interested in water works on the grand scale, like municipal waste plants, or even reservoirs/ utilities that bring water into a community, or like something artistic and recreational like a Bellagio Fountain or amusement park. I want to plumb lots of water LOLZ. I have experience in the residential plumbing eventhough I am not a plumber. I manage property, but I do everything. I have renovated bathrooms, and kitchens, installed new water mains up five flights, with help of course.

Would being a pipefitter help me get work in larger projects/operations, or will being a plumber suffice for that?

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
              How much of the heavy duty in house industrial piping (repair or modifications) would be done by the millwright trades and not plumbers or pipe fitters? I am thinking there may be more of them on staff in an industrial setting than a plumber or pipe fitter.
              I would say that's gonna depend on if its a union facility or contractor doingn the work or not. I think you would see more crossover in a non-union setting than union. But I have been on union jobs where some millwright or boilermaker work would come up but it wasn't really enough to justify hiring a couple MW or BM, so the fitters would do the work, and I've seen it happen just the other way when no fitters on site. And there are those cases where someone working in house may have a job designation of millwright and that job classification does the pipe work as well as more traditional millwright work like diesel engine work, pump or turbine repairs, pump/motor alignments, etc. They might even roll boilermaker work into that job classification. I think it would depend on how big the facility is and how much work they do in house or sub out to contractors. With a small maintennace staff you might only have a couple people whose speciality is electrical and a few who are mechanical, and they fill in or back up each other where needed depending on the work load.

Yeah, we don't get no respect here either. But that's ok, just send money, you can't eat that other cr@p.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I still get nightmares thinking of industrial plumbing it was really hard work compared to domestic its a lot easier today than when than in the 1960`s and 70`s when water and fire services where down in galvanised pipe threading 3" gal pipe even with a ridgid power drive with dyes attached and lifting the pipe by ladder and ropes into position ( their was no health & safty around) and putting hemp around the thread and swinging on chain tongs to screw the 18' lengths of gale pipe together and them having to caulk the threads with thin strips of lead if they leaked, and dressing large lenghts of lead on roofs and not to mention cast iron piping thank God molten lead jointing was being fased out sorry for babbeling I`m strating to shiver

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X