Toilet-shaped stain on ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet-shaped stain on ceiling

We have a second floor toilet, and right under it is our family room. I am seeing a horseshoe-shaped light stain on the family room ceiling, and it almost exactly matches the location of the upstairs toilet. Now there is a dark stain right in the center of this.

My first suspicion is the wax ring, but before I pull the toilet, what should I have on hand as far as parts go? Extra closet bolts? How about a light bead of silicone around the base after reseating (with a small gap in the back)?

Re: Toilet-shaped stain on ceiling

Depending on the flange depth from finish floor, you might need a thicker wax ring. Or 2 wax rings new brass closet bolts. I prefer dap. Acrylic based, water soluble. Easy to caulk and tool.

When you pull the toilet, post a photo of the undisturbed wax ring. The color pattern will tell where the leak was from.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

To add what Rick already has mentioned; be sure there is no old wax left stuck to the bottom of the toilet before resetting the bowl.

Comment

Thanks. The toilet is about 20 years old, original commode and wax ring. I'll lift it up onto wood blocks and take pic before I take away the old ring.

Comment

OK, here are the pics.

When I pulled the toilet, the wax stayed on the drain as shown, and showed no signs of sticking on the toilet base or output horn at all. This makes me think it was not adhering, or may have never adhered. There was very little to clean off the bottom.

It occurred to me that the stain started showing about the time I started doing a Royal Flush as suggested in this forum to push sewage down long runs. So if the seal was not good, that flush may have pushed around the wax ring?

Anyway, I got a "jumbo" reinforced ring with a rubber flange, pressed it firmly to the underside of the toilet, and it definitely smooshed as I seated it over the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
            OK, here are the pics.

When I pulled the toilet, the wax stayed on the drain as shown, and showed no signs of sticking on the toilet base or output horn at all. This makes me think it was not adhering, or may have never adhered. There was very little to clean off the bottom.

It occurred to me that the stain started showing about the time I started doing a Royal Flush as suggested in this forum to push sewage down long runs. So if the seal was not good, that flush may have pushed around the wax ring?

Anyway, I got a "jumbo" reinforced ring with a rubber flange, pressed it firmly to the underside of the toilet, and it definitely smooshed as I seated it over the hole.
            Next time use wax rings without the rubber gasket ! Toilet Augers often grab on to them creating a blockage in the bend below. " SEE I'M LISTENING BIRTHDAY BOY ! "
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Next time use wax rings without the rubber gasket ! Toilet Augers often grab on to them creating a blockage in the bend below. " SEE I'M LISTENING BIRTHDAY BOY ! "
              You're listening to others

Nothing wrong with a horn on the wax ring. I use them all the time with great results, especially when stacking 2 rings.

Remember I use full 4" wax rings. Very rarely a 4x3" refuced wax ring. Our closet flanges are typically always 4" diameter. When I see a 3" flange opening, I see diy handyman.

As far as the leak goes. The leak was from the front 1/2. And the ring never compressed as it was not thick enough for your flange height. Normally the finished flange is sitting on top of the floor and properly secured to the floor.

A running toilet will also cause the same issue too.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                As far as the leak goes. The leak was from the front 1/2. And the ring never compressed as it was not thick enough for your flange height. Normally the finished flange is sitting on top of the floor and properly secured to the floor.

A running toilet will also cause the same issue too.

Rick.
                Thanks all.

Yeah, it seemed like the top of the ring wasn't even touching the toilet underside. Should I feel better about this now that I had to definitely smoosh the toilet down while twisting back and forth? I didn't dare remove it to find out!

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                  Thanks all.

Yeah, it seemed like the top of the ring wasn't even touching the toilet underside. Should I feel better about this now that I had to definitely smoosh the toilet down while twisting back and forth? I didn't dare remove it to find out!

Yes, lowering the toilet onto the wax and having it "smoosh" compress is correct.

You did replace the closet bolts, I hope?

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Yes, lowering the toilet onto the wax and having it "smoosh" compress is correct.

You did replace the closet bolts, I hope?

Rick.
                    I did not. They were brass and were in good shape. I'll remember this next time though.

Comment

Working...
                    X