X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get the training I need

Where do I get the training I need for plumbing, pipefitting, and related trades? Is the union the only way, or are there private schools? Thank you very much

Re: Where to get the training I need

Get a job with a known professional plumber. Learn what he has to offer over a few years. Study the code book and take your exam when you think you are ready.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I was under the impression that I am supposed to go to a classroom to study it first, then get an apprenticeship.

You mean I can jump into apprenticeship completely green? And then I just read or take classes online, and take a test later?

Comment

School gives you the basics and is optional in most cases. Apprentice, journeyman, and master status apply to on the job experience. The terms are usually derived from a union setting (translate: pay scale). If you have plumbers in mind that you'd like to work with then write or talk to them. Find what they require if they were to hire you.

I'd be very surprised if you can become a master by reading/studying alone. There are topics in the codes that you can really only understand by doing, rather than reading.

Your choice of educational and experience route is usually dictated by your location. Most guys I've known started out as helpers in a general plumbing setting. Using myself as an example - I started in a generalized HVAC/P non-union setting with no schooling. After 12 years I felt I had enough experience to take the test. I obtained the code book appropriate for my area (IPC), studied it, then took a fee-based third party administered test given by a town I'm working in. Your situation may be different as most localities are state or county permitted.

The union here, with my experience and current master's license, would start me at a grade 2 journeyman. After another 10 years they would consider me at the master's level. In addition, the union also requires you to complete certain assignments, similar to homework and training classes, to move up the ranks. According to the union girl I spoke to about 6 months ago, the grade 2 journeyman pay scale is $13.10 per hour base rate (subtract dues, taxes, etc.). I couldn't survive on that amount so I'm on my own.
        ~~

Comment

Customers PAY ME FOR IT !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thank you for your info. So the Union has a more structured program, and make you go through lots of hoops to make money. But it really comes down to whether you can pass that third party test. Is this correct? And doesnt matter how you pass it. Do you need a certain years of experience before they even let you take the test?

Comment

If you want the straight poop on how a union apprenticeship works where you live, i suggest you call or stop bythe union hall in your area. They can be found on the internet or innthe phone book. I will tell you that an apprenticeship with the union where i am works much differently than what punky laid out. Not saying he is wrong, its apparently different there and the rules come from your state department of labor. Now depending on what area you are lookkng to get into will determine what your rate as an apprentice will be. Around here a building trades apprentice, or A book, will start at a rate higher than that $13 punky spoke of.

Go to www.ua.org to look up the locals in your area. In larger cites like NYC or Philly or Boston there will often be more than one, sometimes one plumbers local and a pipefitters local, talk to them both.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The union will do whatever it wants training-wise. The test you take may or may not be independently moderated but if you get a master's license from the union it will be recognized as such out of the union.

Bob has a good point - if you want to go the union route, call your local office. They will tell you what you need to do for your area. I'm not a union guy but the union does offer other things such as better benefits, vacations, and certain job protections. Non-union companies may not be able to offer the same benefits.

The reason I won't be in our union here, other than pay reasons, is that our local office is full of crap-happy grievance-filing cry-babies. Don't step out of your pay grade, don't be a go-getter, dont do today what can be done tomorrow...
                ~~

Comment

The only way you get a Master Plumbers license here is to take the state test, the union has nothing to do with it.

The union must meet the rquirements of the Federal and State departments of labor for aprenticeships. They track training and on the job hours and must report same to the State.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If I do not want to go through the union route, then what? Does it all depend on the employer? And can I take the test, any test without any actual field experience?

In real estate, you simply get a broker to sponsor you, you go to classes, then take a test, and give the license to the broker, and now you are okay to start

In plumbing is this the same? Do you have to find a plumber to sponsor you or hire you? Is there any mandatory classes to take before you take an exam?

Comment

It depends then upon your licensing agency - the state, town or locality - what they require. It varies everywhere. Call them, they will tell you.
                      ~~

Comment

Thank you for all your help.

But I am a little confused as to how one would start off in the industry. The impression I am getting is you entice a veteran plumber to let you start off as a helper, and then the process becomes very informal. Whether you advance is completely at the discretion of your boss. How much you learn and what experiences you gain is also completely at his descretion correct ? Is there no set curriculum a plumber must put his apprentice through? Are these veteran plumbers obligated in any way ensure you advance in your training?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander118 View Post
                          The impression I am getting is you entice a veteran plumber to let you start off as a helper, and then the process becomes very informal.
                          That's the way I started.

Whether you advance is completely at the discretion of your boss. How much you learn and what experiences you gain is also completely at his discretion correct ?
                          Yes, and how much of a go-getter you are. If you are lazy and don't ask for more challenge, you won't get it.

Is there no set curriculum a plumber must put his apprentice through?
                          Usually only what applies to his business. My plumber didn't do any large commercial or rooftop work. Studying the code book helps with those areas.

Are these veteran plumbers obligated in any way ensure you advance in your training?
                          No. Only you are responsible for yourself.
                          ~~

Comment

I know I have been a pain but thanks for all your responses. Seems like plumbing is a pretty tough business. Is the same for pipefitting?

I already know what kind of work I want. I want to work with moving and handling lots of water or in something that is meant for public viewing like fountains. I dont want to do residential. I have done residential already.

Would you recommend I apply directly to those companies that do exactly what I want? Would you say I have a better chance as a pipefitter for that kind of work?

Also, I imagine that there are schools that will teach me everything I need to know utilizing labs that simulate what real work will be because I can see a market for it. Do you know any such schools?

Comment

Yes that is the same story that I got when I talked to the union rep, years ago.
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X