Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

    Does something exist for doing this? - where a regular pipe wrench will not fit.

  • #2
    Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

    Basin wrench.

    Could you be more vague?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

      basin wrench may work for small pipe caps,

      Square Drive Chain Wrench
      https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t23075/
      KD makes one as well, ToolKing.com: KD Tools 2595 5/8 - 5-inch 1/2-inch Square Drive Chain Wrench

      and Rick has that Riser wrench, for in ground tanks, (the only one I have ever seen is his pictures, tho),
      https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t159/
      Last edited by BHD; 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

        Sorry for not being specific about this particular scenario. During shower remodel I installed two body jets but as it turned out the buildup due to the tile (which turned out to be thicker than what I had initially intended), moisture barrier, mud wall etc meant that the original nippes were too short by about 1/2". I installed longer nipples using an internal pipe wrench but before the final bodyjet install I need to pressure test the new nipple connections to the tee - the original pressure test was done with the shorter nipples. So basically I need to cap the nipples (1/2") with 1/2" galv caps and pressurize the system but since the cap is now recessed I need to find a way to tighten and loosen it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?



          The Perfecto Right Angle Pipe Wrench is the best tool for the worst jobs. Just because the plumbing is in a tight space, doesn't mean you have to crawl in after it. Let the Right Angle Pipe Wrench do the crawling for you.
          Set the wrench head on the pipe or stubborn nut and make sure the grip is tight. Then insert the extension piece into the socket on the wrench head. With the T-handle on the other end of the extension, you are ready to twist away without having to worry about bruised or scraped knuckles. You can plug the T-handle straight onto the wrench head for other situations, or hold the wrench head in your hand to easily tighten slip nuts without the wrench handle getting in your way.
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

            Hex cap and a socket set.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Hex cap and a socket set.

              Mark
              Great idea Mark - why did I not think of that - I'm sure I have some hex caps around and of course all the sockets, rachets and extender bars.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                Usually during rough-in extra long nipples would be installed and they would stay untilall the tile work and testing was done, then remove and install nipples of the required length.

                Would this not have worked or am I missing something?
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                  Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Usually during rough-in extra long nipples would be installed and they would stay untilall the tile work and testing was done, then remove and install nipples of the required length.

                  Would this not have worked or am I missing something?
                  Since I don't do this for a living I have no idea what is commonly done but even if a longer nipple were used during testing, the moment you remove that and replace with a shorter nipple at that point the new nipple to tee connection is untested - surely that needs to also be tested before the system is considered okay. So I'm not clear how that would have solved the issue.

                  My solution did not work due to not taking into account the build up of Kerdi and that my mud wall ended up thicker in some places due to keeping the face in one plane (which is the purpose of a floated mud wall). I had intended that the original nipple would have been the final solution.

                  I just realized that I may need to also get the wrench suggested by Jerry to backhold the nipple while unscrewing the cap or the nipple iteslf might get unscrewed during the process.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                    This might make me a hack, but I have never worried about testing the nipple connection in the drop ell. If it holds pressure for a longer nipple it'll hold for the shorter. It's not like you'll be able to back up the nipple while you remove the cap
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                      bob d and mojourneyman are 100% right on.

                      keep in mind when we trim out tubs and showers, someting i've literally done well over 10,000 times. we remove the long stub out and replace it with the proper brass nipple or shower arm. sure there is a possibility of a leak when doing this, but that might be less than .001% of a chance.

                      basically dope up the nipple and tape if you like, then just make sure you tighten it up without backing it off. if you need to back off, reapply dope and or tape.

                      you can't and don't expect to test at this point. there is a way to do a pressure drop off test if you really feel the need for it.

                      don't over think it.

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        bob d and mojourneyman are 100% right on.

                        keep in mind when we trim out tubs and showers, someting i've literally done well over 10,000 times. we remove the long stub out and replace it with the proper brass nipple or shower arm. sure there is a possibility of a leak when doing this, but that might be less than .001% of a chance.

                        basically dope up the nipple and tape if you like, then just make sure you tighten it up without backing it off. if you need to back off, reapply dope and or tape.

                        you can't and don't expect to test at this point. there is a way to do a pressure drop off test if you really feel the need for it.

                        don't over think it.

                        rick.
                        Hmmm. thanks Rick - I guess I don't have to bother with this step then. I guess it's true that in real operation all piping after the valve will never experience full static system pressure and it will be lowest at the endpoints.

                        What is this pressure drop off test you are talking about?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                          nothing more than an accurate pressure gauge that is screwed onto the exposed nipple after the trim is set. turn on the valve and check pressure. shut valve and check for pressure drop.

                          i use a very expensive and accurate, liquid filled gauge with a 1/2'' stainless water flex. gives me the ability to be flexible and literally hand tighten a cone washer/ slip joint connection.

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                            Good suggestion. I do have a pressure gauge as well as a pressure/flow gauge but from what I recall it is hose connector on the end. Possibly could use it with an adapter or chance it and assume it's not going to leak as has been suggested.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Tool for turning threaded caps in recessed spaces?

                              Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                              Since I don't do this for a living I have no idea what is commonly done but even if a longer nipple were used during testing, the moment you remove that and replace with a shorter nipple at that point the new nipple to tee connection is untested - surely that needs to also be tested before the system is considered okay. So I'm not clear how that would have solved the issue.

                              My solution did not work due to not taking into account the build up of Kerdi and that my mud wall ended up thicker in some places due to keeping the face in one plane (which is the purpose of a floated mud wall). I had intended that the original nipple would have been the final solution.



                              I just realized that I may need to also get the wrench suggested by Jerry to backhold the nipple while unscrewing the cap or the nipple iteslf might get unscrewed during the process.
                              At some point you have to have faith in your skills as a plumber. If you can't make up one screw joint without losing sleep over it then you're probably in over your head. That's why I don't make those engineering calls, even though I come up with the same solution or answer they do most times. That's their ball of wax and I don't mess with it.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X