X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, guess my well repair cost..

Crazy how many well posts as of late, and well what do ya know, my well fail... wasn't holding pressure, even with main valve off. Turned out to be a 1/8"x1/16" hole at the bottom of the last piece of pipe between the threads. Check valve was full of gunk as well. Replaced one piece of 20' 1" galvanized pipe and brass check valve. 252' deep well. Was fun to watch and learn though. Bill to be mailed to me, I'm guessing 400.00. He was here for just under 2 hours.

Re: well, guess my well repair cost..

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    Crazy how many well posts as of late, and well what do ya know, my well fail... wasn't holding pressure, even with main valve off. Turned out to be a 1/8"x1/16" hole at the bottom of the last piece of pipe between the threads. Check valve was full of gunk as well. Replaced one piece of 20' 1" galvanized pipe and brass check valve. 252' deep well. Was fun to watch and learn though. Bill to be mailed to me, I'm guessing 400.00. He was here for just under 2 hours.
    I've put in 7 deep wells back east. including My own. Well down means instant attention.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Pulling a 250' deep piece of galv. and repairing the check valve in 2 hours is pretty damn fast!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Pulling a 250' deep piece of galv. and repairing the check valve in 2 hours is pretty damn fast!
        It was impressive how fast and efficient the guy was, especially with me standing there watching and talking to him. Never asked for help either, just one guy. All using a truck that probably is older than I am, actually might have been older than him as well.

He did comment that I need a new pressure/bladder tank, said that the most likely reason the check valve was gummed up with sand/clay was due to the tank being to small for my house and well. Said its a tank they usually use for shallow wells and trailer houses and it causes the pump to run in short bursts so it doesnt get a chance to clean out the occasional debris in the stand pipe.

Comment

If Electrolysis put the hole in your Galvanized pipe, replacing it with SCH 80 PVC would have been the best thing to do.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

guessing your well repair will cost more than you want to pay,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              probably but being with out water for extended time can be even more costly
              shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                probably but being with out water for extended time can be even more costly
                I know I do not like being with out water either, a number of years back, after a few $1000 plus visits from the well puller, i decided to set things up to do my own or so I can do my own,

the first was to rebuilt the old windmill that is south of my place, and pull it, (used block and tackle and the old well equipment my grand father had), got that well working and piped it to the house, then I ran a pipe from the mill to the house, it was about 3000 feet,
                put up a storage tank, a 9 x 20 foot tank, the tank is expoxie lined,
                and set it up so it could pump into that storage tank, set up a jet pump for water pressure, but if the power goes off or jet pump goes down, we still will gravity feed, at a few pounds of pressure, the house well, has a sub pump on it, a few years later, I found another windmill and rebuilt it and put it up over the House well, leaving the sub pump under the cylinder of the windmill, so if i need more water than the windmills can pump, I can click on the sub pump, and the tank in the heat of summer still given me about three day supply and in the winter it may do two weeks, (cattle drink a lot of water), the windmills pump about 2 to 2.5 gallons a min, the wells are 285' and one south is 265' I use the windmill tower to pull the pipe if needed, the drop pipe is 2" and I use 1 7/8' cylinders so I can pull the sucker rods and change out the leathers with out pulling the pipe, I use fiberglass sucker rod, the 10 foot mill has 1/2" and the 12 foot mill has 3/4" rod,

at the south mill there is a air chamber to take the pulses out of the pumping, like an expansion tank, but just a chamber, and a set of check valves, and both mills have stuffing boxes on the top of the well to seal up pipe so it can pump to the tank full, with having to have a stand pipe taller than the tank, (the stand pipe would freeze up in the winter time and be a big mess),

(I did have a float vale on the sub pump so if it got below a given level on the tank it would kick in and fill up to about 2/3 full, but the freezing tore that up) so now I just go out and slap the tank and see how full it is and do it manually)

so now I do not have instant emergencies, (I still have maintain the system, replace the leathers, and have had to pull the pipe when i first put it in, as they sold me the 1/2 rod for the 12 foot mill, and later found out the 12 foot mill will pull the ends off the 1/2" rod, since then I have not had to pull the pipe,
                but I have a good winch and use pipe elevators and a much better pipe holder, than when I first started out with, Orange Pipe Holder

I also use a U plate as well,

and with the turn a a few valves the sub pump can pump, in the pressure tanks and by pass the storage tanks and work like a normal well system, does,

but I have water with or with out power, and I have basically three systems for basic water pumping, the (two windmills and the sub pump), and depending on the problem have a few ways of configuring the piping for with or with out the storage tank, and with or with out the sub pump, with or with out he jet pump, and bladder tanks, and a choice of windmills to pump from.
                Last edited by BHD; 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  Is that not the case with any repair? LOL! but the fact that my electric bill was 30$ higher last month than normal, I'm guessing the pump running less than every 5 min had something to do with it and at that rate, getting it repaired was the cheap route. Not to mention if it had killed the pump from the extra run times, well guy said my pump was over a grand just in parts had it failed. As to the hole, I'm going to bet it failed because of cavitation created by the gunked up check valve. The fine sand spinning around in the connection right above the valve ate the inside of the pipe thin enough like a media blaster.

Comment

Wouldn't It be great if the Government had the efficiency of this Farmer.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

on the pipe that is in the water, the threads are usually the place where it corrodes first, I have seen a number of pipe with holes in the threaded area, most of the time if a pipe is pulled in our area, they will trade the pipes in the water column, with the pipes above the water line pipes. by switching them around one can extend the life of the pipe by double or longer,
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

That's exactly what he did, put the top pipes at the bottom and the bottoms up top. He then wrapped every connection below the water level with 2 layers of electrical tape, not sure if that would stave off corrosion, but maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          It's even faster, considering He took them apart , swapping their positions !

Comment

It's not corrosion that makes the holes. It's electrolysis where the pipe screws into the pump. If they are dissimilar metals, holes will occur. If they have a low PH, the acidic water can cause problems as well. That's why we replace galvanized with SCH-80 PVC when we find holes in the pipe.
                            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                              It's not corrosion that makes the holes. It's electrolysis where the pipe screws into the pump. If they are dissimilar metals, holes will occur. If they have a low PH, the acidic water can cause problems as well. That's why we replace galvanized with SCH-80 PVC when we find holes in the pipe.
                              A 6" brass nipple odd the pump before
                              the GALVY Pipe would also stop electrolysis . I think Rick or Phoebe taught Me this.

Comment

Working...
                              X