Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewage backup

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    Lets review so I'm following correctly.

4" main snaked with a 1/2" cable and spade cutter to 28'?

Sounds like you need a 5/8 cable or 3/4" cable while running the drum machine. Also a better cutter. If it's sludge/ grease, you need a better cutter to stir it up, scrape it off and wash it away.

I use a 4 blade cutter that's 3" or larger. Multiple passes and water running.

Your 3500 pressure washer at 4 gpm? Is perfect. Need a section of 1/4" possible 3/8" jetting hose, a 4 rear nozzle, some heavy gloves and a spray gun as a quick acting emergency shut off. It can get real messy real easily. Especially with little to no experiance.

Post a few job photos of your layout and we can walk you through better.

Rick.
    Had to get my wife to hospital for emergency surgery to remove her gangrenous appendix. Everything is on hold for a couple of days. I will take pics and possibly video my setup and post back ASAP. Thanks for your willingness to help

Comment

Made a mistake with the pressure washer specs. Its actually 3100 psi, 2.5 gpm

Comment

Still will work. The gpm is low, but it will slowly wash pipe and grease.

How's your wife doing?

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Still will work. The gpm is low, but it will slowly wash pipe and grease.

How's your wife doing?

Rick.
          Her temp is up slightly which is not good as it may be a sign of remaining infection. She is hitting it with heavy duty anti biotic but nothing compares to IV delivery.The only reason she was allowed home is because she is an RN and knows what to do or tell me what to do if she gets high and delirious.

Comment

Ok. the wife is on the mend but the septic system aint! I posted a video of my setup up. Hopefully this will give you guys better information.
            Basement septic setup - YouTube

Comment

yeah, that is confusing. All I can think is what someone said earlier, that the 'sewage pump' that is causing the backup is putting out significantly more flow than the other two pumps.

or, and this is a reach, that it has no check or a malfunctioning check, and part of the flow from the other two pumps is going into the "sewage pump" pit through the pump because of the bad check.

Which part of that system does the kitchen sink drain into? Does it come down the cast iron vertical? Or some other way?

What size is that cast iron horizontal? is it just for the pumps and the sink, or is it the main service for the whole house, toilets and everything?

edit: looking closer at the vid I'm thinking the cast is 2", and cannot be for toilets,etc. I'm thinking it is the kitchen sink drain and that the pumps have been added to it. I think the kitchen sink comes down the cast iron vertical. if that's all correct, then possibly there is something blocking the pvc in the 45's between the other two pumps' discharges and the 'sewage pump' discharge. also there pretty much has to be something restricting the cast iron downstream of the 'sewage pump discharge.

Agree; jet it or have it jetted.
              Last edited by Ace Sewer; 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                there pretty much has to be something restricting the cast iron downstream of the 'sewage pump discharge.
                But if that were the case why does it only backup when the sewer pump kicks on?

Here's a little more detail I just found out. There was a full bathroom added to the basement in 1994 (Shower, sink and toilet) The guys that did it were disreputable apparently (actually they were not plumbers). I am getting the feeling that as soon as some of you professional plumbers see this your going to tell me to change the setup somehow.

I didn't move in here until 2005 and we have had no backups like this except when the finger system needed replacing in the backyard.

Comment

Watched the video and based on what I can see, the sewage pump is a 2" pump and moves more gpm than the other grey water pumps. The older cast line looks like 3"?.

25' of snaking is not enough. Get someone with a jetter or a larger snake and cutter to clean it out and run lots of water to help flush.

The pvc piping looks very funky, but that's not the cause of your backup. I'll watch it again and slow it down to look closer after joey falls asleep.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Problem solved! Found a local guy who snakes for $130. It would have cost me at least $60 to rent so I figured it was worth the extra 70 bucks. He made two passes on it and flushed with hot water. The sink filled almost full after the first pass which he said was probably a plug he had created on the first pass. After the second pass and 50 gallons of hot water it cleared. I turned up my hot water heater to full temp and put another 50 gallons of really hot water through it. Everything is running fine now. I think I may do the high temp full tank flush every couple of months now. Thanks to Rick and all who helped. Next time I will snake it myself after watching this guy I'm confident I could do it myself next time.

Comment

What was the total footage? What size cable and cutter size and style did he use?

Glad you got it.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Scratcher View Post
                        Had to get my wife to hospital for emergency surgery to remove her gangrenous appendix. Everything is on hold for a couple of days. I will take pics and possibly video my setup and post back ASAP. Thanks for your willingness to help
                        So....did I miss pics of your wife's gangrenous appendix?

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                          So....did I miss pics of your wife's gangrenous appendix?

When the surgeon gave his post op prognosis he told us it wasn't hard to find her appendix with his laparoscopic camera. He said "I saw a nice pink healthy lower intestine with a black thing hanging off the end of it"

Comment

What was the total footage? What size cable and cutter size and style did he use?

Glad you got it.

Rick.
                            Approx 50'. He didn't use a cutter which I asked him about. Instead the coiled end was bent at a 45 degree angle which he said was just as effective. At one point he spoke to his colleague about "Q tipping" which involves wrapping a rag around the end and feeding it in. The cable looked like a 3/4". They probably weren't as professional as most other sewer cleaning outfits which is probably why I got such a good price but they got A ratings on 'Angie's list' so I took the gamble and it looks like it paid off. If we start getting backup again in the future I will probably go ahead and rent an Auger and do the job myself with a cutter.

Comment

Working...
                            X