X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid K-400 Cable Question

I'm not a plumber so please forgive me for any stupid questions.

I own a restaurant and about a year ago bought a K-400 to replace a smaller hand held drain cleaner I used for many years.

The K-400 works great but tonight I found that I simply could not get it to go through a 1 1/2" trap.
    I simply could not find a cleanout for the line that was clogged and no matter how many times I tried I could not get the line started. This was just a regular floor drain and not a floor sink.

It's a 1/2" solid core cable. (Ridgid C-45)
    So I figure the cable is too big and should purchase a smaller one because I do have 1 1/2" drains and I could always put the larger cable on it once or twice a year to clean out all the main lines.

I ordered a 3/8" cable (Ridgid C-32) and a drop head auger for it thinking that should work.
    But now I'm unsure because the 3/8 cable is also sold core and maybe that is my problem.

Is it just me or does a 1/2" cable not go through a 1 1/2" trap?
    Will I still have problems with a 3/8" cable with a drop head auger?
    Or do I really need another cable that is not so stiff?

I'm asking now because since it's a weekend I should be able to cancel the order if I need to.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Dave

Re: Ridgid K-400 Cable Question

Welcome dave. You should have come to our tradeshow last month in long beach.

A 3/8" drum cable with connector is still a little stiff for a 1.5" trap. The cable is fine, but the 2 connectors, male and female are too stiff.

If you cut off the connector and bend a 45 on the last few inches, you should be fine.

Must be an old kitchen. 1.5" floor drains haven't been around since the 60's. 2" is required.

You would have better luck with a k45 hand gun and 5/16" cable with bulb end on a 1.5 trap.

But you're better off with a k50 and 5/8" sectional cable. Might need to cut off the connector too and make a rick reverse auger. The 5/8" sectional with cutters will go through 2" traps all day long. Without an end on 1.5" traps. The open wind sectional is a much better choice and a better cleaner. The k50 is head over heels over the k400. Faster, safer, easier, better.

If you want to see it in person, I can drive the 30 miles and give you a hands on demo. I've been known to work for food. What type of restraunt do you have?

Anyone ever hydrojet the lines? 1.5" traps would still be difficult, but not impossible especially from a roof vent.

Let me know. I'm getting hungry

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

WARNING ,DAVE H ! Rick is a BIG eater !!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Your welcome here any time Rick and I appreciate you taking the time to help me. But I put Long Beach as my location out of habit.
        I'm actually on Catalina Island and thats another reason why i'm cleaning my own drains at midnight. We only have a few plumbers over here and they have a way of not answering the phone at night, not only that but problems only happen in a restaurant when it's real busy and thats usually on a weekend or late at night.

The drain in question actually has a 3.5" round cover on it and looks like a shower drain. I have 2 of them in the kitchen and 4 upstairs in the restrooms. When I look down in it I can see it reduces to 1.5" but i'm looking at part of the fitting so I guess I really don't know what the pipe size is. In that area of the kitchen I also have floor sinks, 2 have 1.5" openings on the bottom, 2 are 3" and a few more are 2".
        So I really can't imagine the drain really being so small.

I know that ideally I really should have 2 machines but I was just trying to make this one work for everything.

I have this old Milwaukee hand held drain cleaner that I ended up using but it has a busted chuck that will not tighten down anymore and I can't seem to find a chuck for it anywhere. That and the fact that I wanted an autofeed machine led me to buying this one.

Is there any such thing as a 5/16" cable about 25' long that would attach to the end of my cable like a long, small diameter trap leader?
        I see several places here that would be all I need to be able to get to a cleanout where I could then use the large cable.
        I know I really should just get a second smaller machine like a k-45 but it gets harder to justify the cost that way.

Dave

Comment

The milwaukke has a jackobs chuck and they are available the new one is plastic and is available, the old chuck is steel and is much better and has net been made in 25 years, we still have over 100 in stock. If the chuck comes off your are in good shape. If the chuck is froze take the front of it off clean the threads and let the oil penitrate for a few hours then take the front drum off and clean the threads behind the chuck, put the chuck in a vice and use a socket and a impact wrench and screw the chuck on then clean the exposed threads on a wire brush and take it off.
          We almost always get them marvin

Comment

dave, i am probably off to catalina during the summer time. i have a good condition milwaukee pistol from when i was 13 and it has the metal jacobs chuck. haven't used it in 30 years and still in clean condition. the chuck is great for pushing through a tight bend. but slow and messy to handle.

a k-50 with a drum adapter would put you in a better position than your hand full of plumbers. do you have a boat or do you take the ferry? the k-50 with both 5/8'' and drum adapter with 5/16'' is your best bet. you might know a good buddy of mine that litrally grew up there over the summers. might have even worked for you.

if you can wait til summer, or come into la for supplies, i can give you a crash course on the machine. i can meet you in mdr at the port.

send me a message with a contact or business name.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

We use salt water over here for all out toilets because fresh water is limited by our reservoir and desalination capacity. It saves a lot of water but really messes up plumbing valves and tools. The plumber I use says that every time he uses his machine when he gets back to the shop he has to pull all the cable out, hose it off and then wind it back in through an oiled rag.
              Thats actually one of the reasons I got the k-400, with the openings on the drum I can wash the cable pretty good and then spray it with something when I'm done.

So I'm sure the chuck is beyond repair.
              If I can get it off though I would love to get a replacement, I looked everywhere last year and could not find any availible.

rod man, I looked in your profile and can't figure out where I would find your company to get one.

Rick , I'll send you a private message.

Dave

Edit- Your over your quota for personal messages Rick, I'll tray again tomarrow
              Last edited by Dave_H; 04-14-2013, 12:44 AM. Reason: to add something

Comment

that's what great about the sectional machines. no drum to hold water. just 7' 6'' sections of5/8'' cable in a metal cage carrier.

rod is the owner of "allen j coleman" company out of chicago illionis. probalbly the most respected company in drain cleaning equipment.

my inbox is always full. send me a visitor message.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I finally got a chance to put the new cable on the machine and try it, and it's working fine. With the 3/8" cable and smaller augers I'm able to get though not only that trap in question but my floor sinks that have a 1.5" opening. Other than that all the other ones are 2 inch or near cleanouts that I will have no problems with.
                  In the meanwhile I followed rod mans tips and was able to get my milwaukke chuck all cleaned up and working. Once I was able to get the dam thing off it was easy to take it apart and soak and clean all the parts. I went ahead and ordered a new cable for that one as well, I'm very happy to get that one working again, that thing has really paid for it'self and comes in handy for for my house too.

I want to thank the two of you again for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.
                  Dave

Comment

Dave, glad you got it.

Looks like the forum worked the way it was suppose to.

I'll still look into a k-50 with 5/8" sectional cable. It will make life simple and maintaining your salty cables a snap. I can easily pack it into my luggage when we visit catalina. Usually around 4th of july.

I'll keep in touch when heading over.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X