X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice on purchasing a jetter

I am starting a commercial plumbing business. One of my first equipment purchases will be a jetter.

My questions are :

1. Do I need a hot water jetter or will a cold water one be sufficient?

2. Is it possible to convert a cold water jetter to a hot water jetter?

3. What jetter would you recommend.

Thanks

Re: Seeking advice on purchasing a jetter

Need your budget and your anticpated pipe sizes that you're encountering.

Are you towing or carting?

Have you jetted before and have some hands on experiance?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have a budget of 30K (but would obviously like to spend less if possible - just starting the business).

Pipe sizes are anything from 3 inch to 16 inch. But mostly 3 inch to 8 inch.

Plan on towing.

Thanks Don

Comment

check your PM
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

16'' requires a large jetter. but 8'' can be done with 12 gpm pretty easily.

under 30k will get you a good used full size harben. stay away from us jetting. i can write a book about all their issues. i've got a brand new one with more issues than anything out there. complete waste of 44k. they took over a year before i could actually work it with their remote and that was after they replaced it 4 times and finally gave up on it. not just mine but all their high end remotes.

the owner lies and salesman tells the truth. believe me, i'm not the only one with a problem with them.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. Do you know anything about Hot Jet USA? They seem to have a pretty good package with trailer for 30K but I am in Virginia and they are in Utah so tough to get it here.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              16'' requires a large jetter. but 8'' can be done with 12 gpm pretty easily.

under 30k will get you a good used full size harben. stay away from us jetting. i can write a book about all their issues. i've got a brand new one with more issues than anything out there. complete waste of 44k. they took over a year before i could actually work it with their remote and that was after they replaced it 4 times and finally gave up on it. not just mine but all their high end remotes.

the owner lies and salesman tells the truth. believe me, i'm not the only one with a problem with them.

rick.
              A complete waste of $44K- wow!
              You had high hopes for this jetter when you upgraded. I feel for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Done Keney View Post
                Thanks Rick. Do you know anything about Hot Jet USA? They seem to have a pretty good package with trailer for 30K but I am in Virginia and they are in Utah so tough to get it here.
                I talked to them at length and they seem to have a very good knowledge of building jetters. If I was to buy a commercially made jetter, they would be my first pick.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                  A complete waste of $44K- wow!
                  You had high hopes for this jetter when you upgraded. I feel for you.
                  took a full year and lots of replacement parts to finally get the jetter working by remote.

not to mention the 3 diesel tanks as the first 2 leaked. then i had to make my own mounts as their mounts didn't match the frame.

the pump to engine mount that cracked with only 60+ hours on it. of course not too many people would ever pick up on it as you have to know to look for it under the pump and trailer. i found it while running a set of tachometer wires from the engine back to the reel.

the battery that didn't charge because they don't know how to build a panel and it took them several months to discover the problem. an engine that would not shut off due to a faulty fuel solenoid they knew about and did nothing to fix.

a swivel reel that is suppose to swivel 180 degrees, curb side to street side. but wouldn't as it hit the frame assembly. i ended up re-plumbing it to make the proper clearances from the hoses to the frame.

a $5000.00 remote that had literally 10' - 100' of range. and a mind of its own. it would shut off when it felt like it. not just my unit but all of them they built with the fancy expensive remote. of course the owner tells me i'm the only 1 that has that problem. the salesman is telling me everyone is having that problem and he is no longer selling that remote. finally at 11.5 months into it, they replaced my complete remote to a standard on, off, engine kill remote. had to keep calling to get a $1000.00 refund to offset the overpayment on the fancy remote. they sent it to their own mechanic for 2 weeks and it came back with 100' max distance. the specs show 300 meters/ 1000' nominal.
                  the remote company was blaming us jetting and us jetting was blaming the remote co. meanwhile i had a $44,000 that would not operate by remote. i had to spend extra time on jobs or bring a buddy to operate it from the machines control panel.

a strobe lite that lasted 5 minutes.

the funniest was the fact that i couldn't register it. took 4 trips to the dmv as they had stamped the wrong vin# on every unit they built in 2011. of course mine was the 1 that was caught by the dmv.

their customer service was customer dis-service. a few of their long time executives were let go or left that year too.

the salesman wanted to give me a refund and buy back the unit. the owner didn't.

i can write a book about all the problems.

in the end, my machine works, but i spent $$$$ fixing their mistakes.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Wow Rick. I'm keeping my trailer jetter purchase idea on the front burner this year and live right down the street from US Jetter. I had no intentions of looking elsewhere but now I do.

David

Comment

Rick
                      So sorry for all your troubles. At least it looks beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
                        Wow Rick. I'm keeping my trailer jetter purchase idea on the front burner this year and live right down the street from US Jetter. I had no intentions of looking elsewhere but now I do.

David
                        David, when you're ready to go shopping, give me a call and we can disucuss all the issues and what to look for in a jetter.

I would take a look at a harben unit. Also right down the road from you.

Unless us jetting cleans house from the ceo to the engineers, to the assemblers and quality controll person, you're going to get lied to and get an untested, unproven product that's a very, very expensive water trailer sitting at the shop.

My home built $200.00 remote that I built for my last jetter was trouble free and had 10 times more range plus better controll of the water flows. You would think for $5000.00 their remote would work.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                          Rick
                          So sorry for all your troubles. At least it looks beautiful.

Robert, so does a dumb blond

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X