X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain tile/French drain cleaning?

Thirty year old interior drain tile clogged up and not flowing.

A bit different than a main or branch line. Looks like 3" coming into the sump basket.

Any experience out there? Jet? Not going to put my K-60 in. No camera.

Prefer not to dig.

Thanks

Re: Drain tile/French drain cleaning?

Jetting would be the easiest, fastest, and would clean the best IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
      Jetting would be the easiest, fastest, and would clean the best IMO.
      X2^^

Probably full of mud. Snakeing will do very little and risky. Jetting by far the best option in this scenario.

Comment

Thank you for your input.

Has anyone actually jetted drain tile.

Also wondering if in other parts of the country drain tile or also called a French drain
        consists of the same material.

Would jetting force the mud back down the perforations and just seal them up?

With Spring thaws here and lots of basements flooding it may be a lucrative concept, or not.

Thanks

Comment

Assume you're referring to perforated pipe? We do septic drain fields all the time with great success.

In your drain, are the holes up or down? Assuming they would be up in that application?

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
            Assume you're referring to perforated pipe? We do septic drain fields all the time with great success.

In your drain, are the holes up or down? Assuming they would be up in that application?

Holes or perforations on drain tile/French drain are down to collect ground water.

That's why I am wondering if jetting will work. Outfits here want to dig.
            Not sure how it works in Drain Fields but thanks for your thoughts.

One nice thing about flooded basements is more floor drains need cleaning.

Comment

I have jetted a block of homes. The whole city block hired me to go to each of their homes and jet the drain tiles for them. Only difference is these all had clay drain tiles., The clay pipes are laid in a trench with a 1/4" gap between each pipe then stone all around. When I was done the lines were flowing nice and free.

I also jetted the corrugated drain tiles as well, it too made a huge difference for the home owners. Before jetting I did power rod them, had cutters that would not cut through the plastic corrugation. Had to rod and flush the line with a hose multiple times to get it to run clear. It did not do 100% of a job but did get improved flow.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

jetting is the way i do it. when it comes to mud, roots and gravel, a snake only stirs things up. a jetter liquidfies it and washes it out all at once.

best bet is to jet from the outlet up towards the high end.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X