here's my chance to get yelled at

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here's my chance to get yelled at

When they installed my brother's eternal water heater they ran a new gas line and capped the old.

I need to remove a section of the old, to remove an attic trip hazard, and plug it at the T that supplied it.

If it was a water line I'd just cut the water off, cut the undesirable section, cap at a convenient place, and abandon pipe in the wall.

Is it possible to take the same approach if you shut the gas off and give it time to dissipate (how long?)

Or should I start disassembling this from the far end until I get to the T?

I'll upload pictures shortly.

Re: here's my chance to get yelled at

Old stub out
    Sorry if it comes out sideways
    Attached Files

Comment

For whatever reason it's fighting me on the second upload.

Comment

I went with plan A.

Worked just fine. You people with real jobs can advise after the fact

Comment

If it were me, I'd shut off the gas, cut the line near the T, remove the old stub, insert a plug with the appropriate thread sealer, turn on the gas, bubble check for leaks.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Around here a "drip leg" is required. I personally would never ever use flex/appliance hose on a tankless unit. Hard pipe all the way! Looks better and is more professional in my opinion.

Connor

Comment

Well the installers did all that. My concern was just removing unnecessary piping.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                If it were me, I'd shut off the gas, cut the line near the T, remove the old stub, insert a plug with the appropriate thread sealer, turn on the gas, bubble check for leaks.
                Pretty much what I did.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a properly sized gas flex.

It's the pvc relief valve piping that's 100% illegal. Based on the blue glue, I doubt it's cpvc.

Was it inspected?

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

It's the pvc relief valve piping that's 100% illegal. Based on the blue glue, I doubt it's cpvc.

Was it inspected?

Rick.
                    Couldn't tell you that. I wasn't around at the original install or when the original unit was replaced after it had a fracture and flooded my brothers house.

It was a licensed company, but we all know that doesn't mean it was done right.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Was it inspected?

Rick.

"Properly sized" is the operative term, unless the directions specify hard pipe all the way. I can't remember what the Eternal's paperwork says. Some of our supply houses sell new PVC relief valve pipes. It's standard sized and normal fittings glue right on (not that I do such things). The pipes I'm used to are less than 3/4" and have a steel fitting that threads into the relief valve. The plastic is printed with BTU ratings, etc and exits through the center of the steel fitting.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Well okay I will oblige

You should have hired a pro. Don't you know you can blow yourself up messing with gas. You might be in over your head.

On a serious note I would second making sure there are no gas leaks. I like to use my TIF detector but as plumber Rick has pointed out in the past if you use joint compound it can give off a false reading so soapy water is another option. I recall they sell a soapy solution also for this.

I thought those gas flexes were SS coated in plastic. I must admit I never looked closely at them.

EDIT - just re-read Rick's comment and realized he was referring to the relief piping - not the flex.
                        Last edited by blue_can; 04-22-2013, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Drip leg?

Should there be a Tee instead of that elbow before the shut-off to create a drip leg?
                          I would disassemble from the end all the way back to where you cap the pipe. Can you plug instead of cap?
                          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: Drip leg?

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                            Should there be a Tee instead of that elbow before the shut-off to create a drip leg?
                            I would disassemble from the end all the way back to where you cap the pipe. Can you plug instead of cap?
                            I cut the pipe, unthreaded the length at the T, and used a plug with compound and Teflon tape. Then I removed all evidence of the old pipe except for a length that was left in the wall. I would have to cut sheetrock to get that out and there's no reason to do that.

Comment

Working...
                            X