X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relining residential 1.5" gal lines?

What options might exist to reline a buried 45-yr old 1.5" gas line that runs down an embankment for 15-20 feet and then under a pool deck for 40', surfacing up through a slab in an equipment room? Was leaking about .25 cu-ft/min (now temp capped off). San Diego locale.

Alternately I could look at trenchless replacement, but there's not a lot of room for the necessary pits at each end for pipe-bursting. Sloped landscaping is a problem at one end and the pool-deck+equipment room slab is a problem at the other. The line feeds a 400,000BTU pool heater and 55-gallon domestic HWH.

I could settle for a 5-10 yr solution, as the whole installation could see changes after that time.
    Last edited by sky_tech; 04-23-2013, 01:21 AM.

Re: Relining residential 1.5" gal lines?

Directional drilling or
    Directional drilling and pipe bursting.
    No relining that I am aware of for gas right now,
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Truthfully, nothing. Gas leaks can't be legally fixed by a liner or epoxy coatings.

Now if you want to get a company like duraflo, they might or might not be able to help you. They do epoxy lining of water mains.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

too bad You're not closer ! I'd have it done in 12 hrs with My borzit. Each coupling wrapped .
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is a roughly 60 foot run by your estimate. Is it not possible to abandon this line and install new?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

NO expert here, but I have read about some locations having higher pressures now, 2 pounds if If remember correctly.

If there is no elbows or other, and one can snake some thing through the pipe could a 3/4 plastic gas line be pulled in, and up the pressure to reclaim the volume of gas needed?

http://www.gpta.net/classes/gas%20si...e%20sizing.pdf

If I am reading this chart correctly your 1.5" pipe would deliver at .5 lb pressure about 690 cu ft per hr. @ 80 feet
            at 2 pounds a 3/4 pipe would deliver 1072 cu ft @ 80'
            a 1/2" pipe would deliver 532 @ 80'

would have to talk to the gas supplier to see if this could be a possibility.

I do not know if one could pull a 3/4 plastic line in it or not, I would think one should be able to, (it should not be filled up or corroded up like a water pipe)

Feed and electrical fish tape or a drain machine down the pipe, then pull back a small cable, and then use a Chinese finger type cable grip or a pipe grip like used in pulling pipe for under ground sprinkler systems. hook on to the small cable and have some one guide the plastic pipe in the existing pipe, (ream the pipe well so you don't cut the plastic)

they also make a foam plug that one can vacuum through a conduit to pull a sting in, for electrical wire, may want t run a rag though it before pulling the pipe, with dish soap for a lubricant first may make pulling the pipe easer,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              This is a roughly 60 foot run by your estimate. Is it not possible to abandon this line and install new?
              That's what I was proposing , with My Lil $300.00 Borzit .
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Bhd, this is the same method our gas co.uses to replace steel services from the street main to the meter. They use hdpe pipe. Problem is, this guys pipe has elbows and chances are they will not supply him with medium pressure past the meter. But its a good call if it was straight and he can get medium pressure.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X