Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife wants sink in enclosed porch. Must I vent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife wants sink in enclosed porch. Must I vent?

Previous owners enclosed the back (rear) porch.

Can the 1-1/4 inch vanity sink drain be sufficiently vented through a 2" drain line which I would connect to a 3 inch vertical waste line in the basement?
    (I really want to drain the sink into the backyard but have been overruled.)
    Will be "fun" trying to get water and drain lines run from the basement under the floor (on top of the cement porch slab) to the vanity.
    May be impossible and I will have to run them in a four-inch PVC pipe (used as a chase) from the basement outside under the deck and into the enclosed porch.

Thank you.

Glacier Bay
    24 in. W Vanity in Golden Pecan with AB Engineered Composite Vanity Top in White
    Model # GB24P2-WA $98.00
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Wife wants sink in enclosed porch. Must I vent?

Hi there I was starting to think all your Honey do projects must have been done since I have not seen you post in some time,

Good luck on your honey do project,

never used one but a, auto ven/studor vent/air admitance vavle, could be a posiblty.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Is that a front or REAR porch ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I put this cabinet and sink in my garage last fall. Vented it with an AAV as you can see in the 3rd photo.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by hammerlane; 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I was sort of fortunate because on the inside of the garage wall is my basement. And directly behind/below where the sink is in the garage was a 1.5" drain line for a first floor lav sink.

I cut the 1.5" out all the way back to the 3" stack and upsized it to 2" to accomodate the first floor lav sink and the garage sink.

I lifted kind of into position in the basement to show before install. The existing 1.5" lav drain will be cut out from where I put the green "X" all the way back to the stack in the basement. The remaining 1'5" will be joined to the 1.5" 45 labeled as fitting "H". Thats how the exist lav drain will tie back into the new 2" that I ran.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hammerlane; 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

That's a big beer refrigerator!
            Wonderful having a utility sink in the garage. If you add a stove, you now have a legal 2nd kitchen!

Thank you, hammer, for your clear photo and excellent labeling.
            I recalled something about a 1-1/4 could be vented through its 2-inch drain line so that an illegal autovent is not even needed.

I forgot about a cleanout, but could remove the P-trap and go through the desanco.

If I can accomplish running the water and drain lines from the basement out between the porch floor joists, I'll have to drill through or remove a 12" square flat stone.
            Is there a hole saw which can drill out a 4-inch disk in a natural stone "tile"?

Thank you.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
              Is there a hole saw which can drill out a 4-inch disk in a natural stone "tile"?

Thank you.
              yeah but they are relatively expensive.

I got those photos off a thread I did here about the sink install. There are other photos here:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t42080/

Comment

You can by import Diamond coated hole saws under $40 and or core bits with segments for under $70 for a 4.5" hole,

(there is a seller on Ebay if you want to buy from Hong Kong for $22 and $15 shipping, I have ordered from one of the hong Kong sellers a adapter for diamond core bits and came in just a few days, the price was such if I did get took (which I did not) I did not loss much, for what I saved $ from buying from a USA seller, of the same Item, actually I have ordered a few things from the Hong kong sellers on Ebay.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thank you.
                  I'll probably need much more room so I'll save the expen$e of a diamond drill and remove a flat rock 12x12" tile under the cabinet. Or remove the 7-inch piece of tile coming out from the wall.
                  Then open the subfloor.
                  But first, from the basement I'll have to drill a hole in the house rim joist and probe and see what is under the porch floor on top the porch cement slab.
                  Midway across the floor there may be blocks between the floor joists to keep them from tilting.
                  Can a 3" hole saw be attached to a 6 foot long extension to cut a hole through a block?
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-25-2013, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I have several 1/2 rods threaded to take a 1/2 chuck for extensions, so I would not see a problem besides centering or locating where you want to drill the hole.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Re: Can I knock out the kicker between floor joists?

Thank you.

I managed to carefully remove the 12x12" natural stone tile without breaking it.
                      Will run everything in the floor joist cavity.

Connected two fiberglass rods and they went all the way to the house rim joist.
                      But from the 1/2-inch pilot hole I drilled in the rim joist, the rods hit a kicker in the porch floor joist cavity.
                      Can I knock out or through the kicker with a heavy 1-1/4" metal pipe?
                      Otherwise it is too far in to reach with a hole saw.

Thank you.
                      Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

3/4"x10-foot black pipe with reducer coupling "point" bashed through kicker

Can I use 1-1/2 inch PVC for the drain line from the 1-1/4 inch vanity sink?
                        About 10 feet of drain line before it empties into a vertical \|| wye I would install in the vertical 2-inch kitchen drain line.

Thank you.

Comment

Re: 3/4"x10-foot black pipe with reducer coupling "point" bashed through kicker

Yes you can use 1"1/2 pvc pipe.

And yes this is Clay.

Comment

Working...
                          X