X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please Help with sink odor in New construction

The bathroom sink would be a simple fix with bleach squirted down the overflow hole. But its the same smell in the kitchen sink now.

I think you said that after the sink was replaced the smell went away for a month, leading me to believe they were on the right track.

Try the bleach trick in the master sink overflow for 15 minutes and then rinse.

Also try removing cleanout plug or go on the roof and smell the vent and see if it smells. Most sewers I come across don't smell unless its a commercial kitchen.

I think you'll find that its not the sewer but maybe something else that smells when wet.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by mrdpremer View Post
      do a smoke test or peppermint test, call a licensed plumber....I had a job where the cabinet guys had put screws in the vent pipe on accident....a smoke test will reveal everywhere not protected by a trap seal....you could even have a cleanout plug that is buried by the drywallers......
      Got to agree, smoke will be a cheap option and tell you if there is something missing or forgotten. I would block off the vents upstairs when smoking just to force the issue further as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        The bathroom sink would be a simple fix with bleach squirted down the overflow hole. But its the same smell in the kitchen sink now.

I think you said that after the sink was replaced the smell went away for a month, leading me to believe they were on the right track.

Try the bleach trick in the master sink overflow for 15 minutes and then rinse.

Also try removing cleanout plug or go on the roof and smell the vent and see if it smells. Most sewers I come across don't smell unless its a commercial kitchen.

I think you'll find that its not the sewer but maybe something else that smells when wet.

Rick.
        In the kitchen sink the smell is in the garbage disposal side.
        What is the bleach trick?
        The builder/plumber come in today. Will ask them to check the vents (very high on roof) and conduct a peppermint/smoke test.
        Thank you!

Comment

Thank you everyone fo ryour comments and suggestions!
          The builder/plumber come in today. I will ask them to check the vents (very high on roof) and conduct a peppermint/smoke test.
          Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by stinkysinkinpdx View Post
            In the kitchen sink the smell is in the garbage disposal side.
            What is the bleach trick?
            The builder/plumber come in today. Will ask them to check the vents (very high on roof) and conduct a peppermint/smoke test.
            Thank you!
            The smell in the disposal side is most likely stale water that is trapped in the dishwasher drain hose connected to the disposal. Look under the sink and spot the large 7/8" black rubber hose running from the diswasher air gap to the disposal. Most likely it is not graded properly and is holding waste water in the hose.

Post a photo of the piping and hoses under your sink to confirm.

You could also use ice cubes to throughly clean the disposal chamber and rubber splash guard. Fill the disposal with ice cubes and add another tray to the sink, turn on the disposal with a litle water too to help flush out the ice. The ice tumbling will clean the inner walls of the disposal.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

The smell in the disposal side is most likely stale water that is trapped in the dishwasher drain hose connected to the disposal. Look under the sink and spot the large 7/8" black rubber hose running from the diswasher air gap to the disposal. Most likely it is not graded properly and is holding waste water in the hose.

Post a photo of the piping and hoses under your sink to confirm.

You could also use ice cubes to throughly clean the disposal chamber and rubber splash guard. Fill the disposal with ice cubes and add another tray to the sink, turn on the disposal with a litle water too to help flush out the ice. The ice tumbling will clean the inner walls of the disposal.

Rick.
              OMG !! I think you may have nailed it with the dishwasher drain pipe. It is white and I see some black/grey mold in a curve where it enters the garbage diposal. Also there was remanat water in there, when I moved the pipe. Please tell me how do I clean this? The plumber is not coming today as he is out sick :-(
              I believe something similar is happening in the bathroom sink also. Please tell me how I can clean the overflow hole, as that is the only part of the sink I haven't visually inspected and cleaned!
              Thank you so much!

Comment

The hose is not suppose to have any back grade. Remove the hose from the disposal and shorten it to provide grade. A wire pipe cleaner, with bristles will easily clean it. Or $1.50 a foot and you can replace it.

Bleach down the airgap will also kill the bacteria.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

The hose is not suppose to have any back grade. Remove the hose from the disposal and shorten it to provide grade. A wire pipe cleaner, with bristles will easily clean it. Or $1.50 a foot and you can replace it.

Bleach down the airgap will also kill the bacteria.

Rick.
                  Thanks Rick! we will get the pipe replaced. I started looking for stagnant water in the bathroom sink. I opened the pop up drain and saw that the overflow drain is partially blocked by the metal edge of the drain assembly. There is stagnant water ther. Could this be the source? How do we resolve this?

Comment

Did the same plumber install the old sink and the new sink?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Don't know about the plumber, but it was the same company that the builder contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkysinkinpdx View Post
                        the same company that the builder contracts.
                        = lowest bidder or a 'buddy'
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My guess is excessive oil based plumbers putty. I had the exact same problem at my house. Ended up being rancid putty.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            My guess is excessive oil based plumbers putty. I had the exact same problem at my house. Ended up being rancid putty.
                            Never thought about that but I did find an old tub of cheap brand putty under my front seat once and it stunk like swamp water.

Comment

Working...
                            X