X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Line Replacement Cost Estimate

The sewage backed up through the basement. They came out to snake it on Sunday, and did break up a blockage. However, they couldn't get the snake through a section of pipe. They then came out here on Tuesday to cam the pipe. They said there were two bellies or bulges in the pipes, and that the entire line would need to be replaced. They said it would cost $14,000 to do this.

The line is 5.5 feet deep, and roughly 100 feet of line needs to be replaced. The location is in Central Ohio.

I am just looking for rough estimates. I don't expect something 100% accurate and binding through a message board.

Re: Sewer Line Replacement Cost Estimate

I don't know if that price is high, low, or about right, but, if it were me, I would get several more estimates.

Comment

Originally posted by Alardo_Montano View Post
      The sewage backed up through the basement. They came out to snake it on Sunday, and did break up a blockage. However, they couldn't get the snake through a section of pipe. They then came out here on Tuesday to cam the pipe. They said there were two bellies or bulges in the pipes, and that the entire line would need to be replaced. They said it would cost $14,000 to do this.

The line is 5.5 feet deep, and roughly 100 feet of line needs to be replaced. The location is in Central Ohio.

I am just looking for rough estimates. I don't expect something 100% accurate and binding through a message board.

He couldn't get the "snake" past a belly ??? Did you get a copy of the video inspection and was the camera able to make it all the way to the city connection ?

I would get a second opinion and several more estimates.

Comment

Under asphalt? Concrete? Yard? Open or fenced? Under trees? Accessible with equipment or hand-dig? Near or crossing utilities such as gas, power, water, or cable? Under low-hanging trees? Sprinkler lines? Is a new tap at the city main required? How deep is the main, and what type of pipe? Does this include landscape repair or is it for a rough backfill?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          He couldn't get the "snake" past a belly ??? Did you get a copy of the video inspection and was the camera able to make it all the way to the city connection ?

I would get a second opinion and several more estimates.

The snake should pass anything short of a major break or collapse. I, too, would get a second or third opinion. For my area, that estimate is really high. We just did one 12 feet deep, 40 feet long into a road and it wasn't $14K. For your job, in my area, costs would be in the neighborhood of $3500 to $6000.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I would also get several more estimates but I would be more interested in the history here. Have there been regular stoppages over the years or has it been fine then all of a sudden this one stoppage. I would not spend $14K because you had one stoppage and the plumber says it needs to be replaced. Even if the pipe has a belly or two, many sewer lines do and never have a problem with stoppages, including my own.

As for the cost of replacement, for a 100' sewer line 6+ feet deep $14K is not out of the ballpark. It may be for other areas but here. it would probably be closer to $20K depending on digging conditions, i.e. rock, buried utilities, tree roots, sidewalks and landscaping all play a big role in cost no matter where you live.

Comment

As bill mentioned, what's the track record?

I can clean 99% of all my sewers spotless with a jetter and camera. I doubt you're the 1 percent.

Post the video on youtube for us to get a look.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
                Under asphalt? Concrete? Yard? Open or fenced? Under trees? Accessible with equipment or hand-dig? Near or crossing utilities such as gas, power, water, or cable? Under low-hanging trees? Sprinkler lines? Is a new tap at the city main required? How deep is the main, and what type of pipe? Does this include landscape repair or is it for a rough backfill?
                Not wanting to sound rude or other but SewerRat is bang on the money with this. We have to take into account all of these factors as well as more. Quoting is a minefield for all of us regardless of experience. We all get caught out from time to time and it hurts. Thing is most of us are too professional to go back asking for more unless we state our concerns beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  The snake should pass anything short of a major break or collapse. I, too, would get a second or third opinion. For my area, that estimate is really high. We just did one 12 feet deep, 40 feet long into a road and it wasn't $14K. For your job, in my area, costs would be in the neighborhood of $3500 to $6000.
                  Punky give me your address, I will send you a ticket to downunder. I will supply you with the job and put a mark on your price, what a winner. I know you think it is fair and I am not for a oment trying to insult you but that sounds real cheap for depth and length. You must be built like the incredible hulk and work like a 50tonner machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                    Punky give me your address, I will send you a ticket to downunder. I will supply you with the job and put a mark on your price, what a winner. I know you think it is fair and I am not for a oment trying to insult you but that sounds real cheap for depth and length. You must be built like the incredible hulk and work like a 50tonner machine.
                    I'd love to go back to AUS. It's an awesome country. But it's not in the cards right now.

No offense was taken. My area is relatively depressed in economy. There is more lower-middle and lower class population with only areas of upper-middle to upper class housing. Most of that is relatively new (under 15 years). So, if that's all the cash one can get, that's what is charged (so long as there is profit to be made). Also, 5-6 feet here is very shallow. It's a rarity to get anything below 8 feet. We have lots at only 2 feet.

The question as posted was basically only "sewer replacement". I translated that to be "remove any needed areas without discretion, replace pipe, bury". So, any trees, sidewalks, driveways, landscaping, fences, etc. are not counted and are not my problem. IF they were my problem, well then the sky's the limit.

A person doesn't need to be big or strong to do a line replacement. In this case, the proper tools are a necessity - a large, capable digging machine with operator, a surveyor's transit, knowledge of the local codes and requirements, the proper permits (duh, right?), misc tools and parts, and people with good usable brains.

The last company I worked for was flat rate. All jobs under 75 feet, with no landscaping included, were $3500. 75-100 feet was $4000, landscaping added $2000, concrete or sidewalk work was quoted as needed. Depth was never counted in price. The machines we had were capable of over 10 feet down and could dig, what I consider, massive amounts of dirt per scoop.
                    ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                      I am not entirely sure what correlation there is between the price of plumbing in Australia and the price in central Ohio. I would assume most of the price comparisons would be severely skewed from the massive increase in the value of the Australian Dollar

The last company I worked for was flat rate. All jobs under 75 feet, with no landscaping included, were $3500. 75-100 feet was $4000, landscaping added $2000, concrete or sidewalk work was quoted as needed. Depth was never counted in price. The machines we had were capable of over 10 feet down and could dig, what I consider, massive amounts of dirt per scoop.
                      does this company operate in Central Ohio?

This house was purchased for under $25,000. As long as the yard has some green or brown stuff on it at the end of the job, that is fine by me

As bill mentioned, what's the track record?

I can clean 99% of all my sewers spotless with a jetter and camera. I doubt you're the 1 percent.

Post the video on youtube for us to get a look.

Rick.
                      They did not give us the CD with the Video. We paid only $100 for them to snake the whole line, and for them to cam the line to figure out why they couldn't get the snake through a specific spot. Beyond that, we had a $40 coupon, so the net cost was $60. So I didn't exactly feel entitled to the video considering we spend a total of $60 for the snaking. I honestly don't even know if we were supposed to get the video since we paid $60 for all of this.

Comment

Lets try this. DIY
                        My old Labor Calculator tells me that it will take 3.2mh per VF (4'to8')=320mh
                        The Dayton Home Depot sells Charlotte 4"x10' sewer pipe for $10.80
                        Shovel - $10.97
                        Pick - $29.97
                        PortaJohn Rental - $75. to $150 per day
                        100 (1 gallon packets) Gatorade $95.00

Your milage may vary if you can dig it with a backhoe.
                        Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 04-27-2013, 01:27 PM. Reason: (sp)

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I greatly appreciate the estimates of $20,000 and $6,000.

Comment

It just varies so much based on location. Around here you'd be looking at $2k unless it goes under a driveway/road, and even then it'd still be 2k, then you'd have to find someone else to repair the hard surface damage
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Alardo_Montano View Post

does this company operate in Central Ohio?
                              No, but it wouldn't matter anyway. Costs vary from place to place. What is a valid cost in my area surely isnt in Ohio, Australia or California.

They did not give us the CD with the Video. We paid only $100 for them to snake the whole line, and for them to cam the line to figure out why they couldn't get the snake through a specific spot. Beyond that, we had a $40 coupon

This is an indication of companies trying to scam you into a huge expense that's usually not needed (coupons and no videos to the customer).
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X