X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement flood (Vertical geyser)

Well it doesn't rain but it pours. Came home to find a pressure release valve had been blown from the Kinetico water softener across the basement floor and a stream of water shooting 20' horizontal across the room. I shut off the water and put the system on bypass and turned the water back on and heard my well pump constantly running. The pump is 50' deep and we have a pressure tank. The gauge is maxed out past the 100 PSI mark and the tank is not ruptured. (IE: there is no water present in tank which I know is normal as it uses air to pressurize the system.

We had been having problems with the well pump losing power for a few weeks (Had to give it a whack to get it going again) so I cleaned the electrical contacts and WD40 the switch and everything worked fine until this. It seems like the well pump has gone from not turning itself on to not turning itself off which would explain the increase in pressure causing the valve on the Kinetico system to blow out.

Usually if there is no power to the pump we get no water flow but even now as I type with the pump switched off we are still getting water to the faucets. I know this is probablu because the system is over pressurized.

I'm thinking that this is an electrical problem which is causing the pump to run contantly and over pressurized the system but as I am not a plumber I thought it best to check with you guys before taking further action.

We have at least one inch of water in our finished basement. Groan!!

Re: Basement flood (Vertical geyser)

replacing the pressure switch I would think would be a good place to start, and to see if the line/fitting to where the pressure switch is open and clean.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Your first indication that there was an electrical problem was the switch you had to play with to get it running again. Replace the switch and clear the connector to it per the suggestion above. It will solve the on/off problems. Howveer, if your line to the tank system is only rated for 100 psi you many now have other problems, in addition to other weakened components in the water system.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Scratcher View Post
        The pump is 50' deep and we have a pressure tank.

if there is no power to the pump we get no water flow

This is a problem. The tank has most likely failed and is causing your well pump to short cycle.
        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          This is a problem. The tank has most likely failed and is causing your well pump to short cycle.
          Tank was replaced only three years ago along with a new well pump. What could have caused it to fail?

Comment

Like BHD said start with replacing the pressure switch & the pipe that connects to it. Look on the inside of the cover to see what PSI the switch is. Also, you going to need to check the air pressure in the pressure tank ( the air pressure should be 2 lbs. less than the cut on setting on a 30/50 switch it would be 28 PSI ) & I would replace the pressure gauge ( they are cheap & go bad ). Your tank is probably fine unless the 100 PSI of water pressure tore the diaphragm.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
              Like BHD said start with replacing the pressure switch & the pipe that connects to it. Look on the inside of the cover to see what PSI the switch is. Also, you going to need to check the air pressure in the pressure tank ( the air pressure should be 2 lbs. less than the cut on setting on a 30/50 switch it would be 28 PSI ) & I would replace the pressure gauge ( they are cheap & go bad ). Your tank is probably fine unless the 100 PSI of water pressure tore the diaphragm.
              We called our well guy and he replaced the switch and the gauge. The tank is fine and everything is working again except for the water softener which is on bypass until Kinetico comes tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratcher View Post
                Tank was replaced only three years ago along with a new well pump. What could have caused it to fail?
                lack of air, excessive pressure, manufacturer's defect.

when using a captive air bladder tank, if the pump is off (disconnected) there should be water flow until 2 psi less than the pump cut-in pressure. Then all water flow drops to 0. If you have a constant pressure pump system (uncommon), your tank will be about 2 gallons or less in size and water flow will be nearly 0 when the pump is off.
                ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  lack of air, excessive pressure, manufacturer's defect.

when using a captive air bladder tank, if the pump is off (disconnected) there should be water flow until 2 psi less than the pump cut-in pressure. Then all water flow drops to 0. If you have a constant pressure pump system (uncommon), your tank will be about 2 gallons or less in size and water flow will be nearly 0 when the pump is off.
                  Tank was checked and declared fit for continued service. It was the switch that was at fault. Hardly surprising after over 20 years of continuous use. System is working perfectly now and water pressure is within normal limits.

Comment

Working...
                  X