Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

My Tale of Woe

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Tale of Woe

    Just an old homeowner complaining but here goes. A few months ago I replaced the faucet in my kitchen. No leaks, everything seemed okay. An hour ago I was washing some dishes and I hear a loud woosh sound and immediately knew it was bad. I opened the doors under the sink and hot water is gushing all over the cabinet, too cluttered and too hot to turn the shut off, so I shut the main downstairs. Here is a picture of the problem, manager at home depot gave me a new one for free. He said as I thought a manufacturer's defect. Do you guys agree? I already did the repair, but I may man up and do copper with compressions? Thanks, Frank
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: My Tale of Woe

    Never saw that before ! Hope the damage wasn't too bad !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: My Tale of Woe

      Frankie that really sux. I've seen a few leak at that joint right out of the box but never blow off, especially months later.

      This may have been a total fluke but it also could be telling you something else about your plumbing system; water pressure too high, expansion tank on your water heater is non-funtional or missing completely. Temperature up too high.

      Have there been any other plumbing issues lately?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: My Tale of Woe

        Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Frankie that really sux. I've seen a few leak at that joint right out of the box but never blow off, especially months later.

        This may have been a total fluke but it also could be telling you something else about your plumbing system; water pressure too high, expansion tank on your water heater is non-funtional or missing completely. Temperature up too high.

        Have there been any other plumbing issues lately?
        Expansion tank is okay, but I know my water pressure is up there. Hot water temp is 115. I know it's on hot side but I have four adults showering around the same time. No similar issues ever? If it is simply a defect it reaffirms my belief in chinese junk. I figured high pressure and or temp would damage the hose itself before blowing the crimped end?

        Only damage was to pull out drawer under the sink. Base had some delaminating, not noticeable when pots are put back. Had a lot of mopping to do. Could not have been more than fifteen seconds from time I heard the water and time I cut it off. Can't imagine degree of damage if I was not home!
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: My Tale of Woe

          Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Expansion tank is okay, but I know my water pressure is up there. Hot water temp is 115. I know it's on hot side but I have four adults showering around the same time. No similar issues ever? If it is simply a defect it reaffirms my belief in chinese junk. I figured high pressure and or temp would damage the hose itself before blowing the crimped end?

          Only damage was to pull out drawer under the sink. Base had some delaminating, not noticeable when pots are put back. Had a lot of mopping to do. Could not have been more than fifteen seconds from time I heard the water and time I cut it off. Can't imagine degree of damage if I was not home!
          Frank for about $5 You can pick up a hose bib pressure gage.
          I set homes at 60 psi , Do You have a pressure regulator after the water Meter ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: My Tale of Woe

            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Frank for about $5 You can pick up a hose bib pressure gage.
            I set homes at 60 psi , Do You have a pressure regulator after the water Meter ?
            No. I have a backflow preventer and pressure regulator going into my boiler but nothing to reduce or regulate house water pressure. I'm willing to bet it is much higher that 60psi. Thing is I have not had a problem in the 22 years I've lived here. Not related but a few months back when changing the fuel filter and strainer (I can never remember that name) on my tank and boiler, I cranked up the water temp to keep the boiler running as I bled the system. I forgot to turn down the temp and blew off the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank. Luckily I turned down the temp and reseated the valve. I appreciate the heads up on the pressure and temp, still leaning towards a defective part. That crimp should have held.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: My Tale of Woe

              Frank, ive seen it a lot with plastic hose and plastic barbs. But I can't say ive seen it with ss hose and brass barbs.

              I would forward this to corporate. You might get the damage to your cabinet taken care of.

              Rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: My Tale of Woe

                I have seen it with the stainless steel supplies, one of the reasons I refuse to use them. In fact in most commercial locations require it to be hard piped with the copper supplies.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: My Tale of Woe

                  Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Expansion tank is okay, but I know my water pressure is up there. Hot water temp is 115. I know it's on hot side but I have four adults showering around the same time. No similar issues ever? If it is simply a defect it reaffirms my belief in chinese junk. I figured high pressure and or temp would damage the hose itself before blowing the crimped end?

                  Only damage was to pull out drawer under the sink. Base had some delaminating, not noticeable when pots are put back. Had a lot of mopping to do. Could not have been more than fifteen seconds from time I heard the water and time I cut it off. Can't imagine degree of damage if I was not home!
                  Franki the CHINA SYNDROME strikes again. I would be serving up a bill to the supplier for all the repairs as well

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: My Tale of Woe

                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Frank, ive seen it a lot with plastic hose and plastic barbs. But I can't say ive seen it with ss hose and brass barbs.

                    I would forward this to corporate. You might get the damage to your cabinet taken care of.

                    Rick.
                    Rick, thanks for weighing in on this. I did call mueller industries, TN and spoke to a couple different folks. I told them I wanted to make them aware of what happened and honest I'm not looking for compensation. They listened and then gave me over to their tech dept where I left my name, number and brief description of the problem. No return call so far, maybe I'll send them a picture. I have done the metal tube with compression fittings in the past and plastic, but thought these would be better. Hope it's a fluke and I did lower the hot water temp to 110. Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: My Tale of Woe

                      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      No. I have a backflow preventer and pressure regulator going into my boiler but nothing to reduce or regulate house water pressure. I'm willing to bet it is much higher that 60psi. Thing is I have not had a problem in the 22 years I've lived here. Not related but a few months back when changing the fuel filter and strainer (I can never remember that name) on my tank and boiler, I cranked up the water temp to keep the boiler running as I bled the system. I forgot to turn down the temp and blew off the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank. Luckily I turned down the temp and reseated the valve. I appreciate the heads up on the pressure and temp, still leaning towards a defective part. That crimp should have held.
                      Franki think back 22years ago and what quality we had back then. Now we just have Chinese crap and plenty of it. Oh, but it is cheap isn't it...................!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: My Tale of Woe

                        Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                        Franki the CHINA SYNDROME strikes again. I would be serving up a bill to the supplier for all the repairs as well
                        Thanks. Only the very bottom of that pull out drawer got damaged, but if the damage was extensive I would push to get compensated. If it was a bad batch that didn't get crimped as well as it should have I figure there will be more failures in the coming months? If I was them I would want to know the skew number so I could check them out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: My Tale of Woe

                          Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          I have seen it with the stainless steel supplies, one of the reasons I refuse to use them. In fact in most commercial locations require it to be hard piped with the copper supplies.
                          Had some blow out many years ago in Commercial property. One on third floor leaked right through on to a $1million colour printing system. We traced it back to the cleaning chemicals used actually breaking down the stainless strands that surround the rubber hose inside.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: My Tale of Woe

                            Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                            Had some blow out many years ago in Commercial property. One on third floor leaked right through on to a $1million colour printing system. We traced it back to the cleaning chemicals used actually breaking down the stainless strands that surround the rubber hose inside.
                            Very common in kitchen cabinets with chlorine based cleaners that gas out from the opened bottle caps.

                            Brasscraft actually made fake ss supplies out of a polymer hose that looked likecstainless but was plastic and didn't rot from chlorine exposure. Worked good, looked good, problem is they discontinued them several months back.

                            But a brass barb pulling out on a crimped hose is very uncommon.

                            Rick.
                            phoebe it is

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X