X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pump connect to rain barrel for garden watering

Want to buy a small pump to push water for my gardening.

Somebody recommends submersible fountain pumps like those: Search results for: 'fountain pump'

want to hear from expert to see it they are ok for this purpose. Don't know if they will be burned if I stop watering but the pump is still running.

I have a Wayne 1/2 HP Cast Iron, Portable Transfer Utility Pump . don't know if I can use it to do this.

please advise.
    Last edited by thisnewowner; 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM.

Re: pump connect to rain barrel for garden watering

IMO I doubt if you wold be happy with the fountain pumps in the link, the head ranges from 2.3 feet to 11 feet. the eleven foot one is 620 gallon an hr and that is usually at NO head.

my guess is there would not damage the pumps if the flow was 0 at least for a short time, but the 2.3 feet is only about a pound of pressure, and even at 11 feet you hardly 4 pounds of pressure,

now if you just want to run a 3/8 vinyl tube out to the garden and let it flow it may work,

the Wayne pump would most likely work better, but most likely will not suck the water up and out of the drum, most likely would need it below the water lever and prime it first or feed off the bottom of the drum,

and it has no run dry capability,

If I would use it I would put a valve on the bottom side of the drum, and connect the pump with a non crush hose, run the garden house to the garden hook to a sprinkler, go back to the drum and turn on and watch until it runs out of water.

since you say rain barrel my guess is it is not over 60 gallons, of water storage, in the drum,

it will not take long to empty 50 gallons of water. depending on the sprinkler my guess is 50 gallons would not last over 10 Min's of watering,

if larger tank (hundreds of gallons) being discussed, I would most likely put in a float switch in the tank and have it shut off the pump when the level of the water is low or out.

the Wayne pump will not like being shut off, the Wayne pump puts out about 25 pounds of pressure max,

use the Wayne pump on a soaker hose is a possibility, as if you have any flow you will have very little pressure and if if you have pressure your flow will be small,

from the two choices you have given I would play withe Wayne pump if you have it and see if it meets your desired requirements,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have a 55 gal barrel now and want to buy a bigger one. I will play with the Wayne pump. I don't want to burn my pump. I may need to ask my daughter help me to watch the water level to avoid "dry run". I also need to tell her to turn off the pump before if I stop watering.

Comment

I realize that you live in and entire different climate and I think you normally actually get rain,

I live an a very dry area of the US, and back in late 1990's we thought we would have a real lawn grass yard around the house and so I put in under ground a sprinkler system. and for a few years we had the green lawn look around the farm house, then in 2002 the worst drought hit us that had been in 600 years (tree ring data), and I tried to keep the lawn alive

I live on a well system, consists of an electric pump, and windmills, and a 9x20' storage tank, the tank measures out to about 9000 gallons, of storage, during 2002 with out any rain, I was having to run the sprinklers nearly ever night, just to keep the grass in a from of dormancy not really green but alive, each night it would take the entire storage tank to water the yard area, Yes it was big, (I ended up saying this is insane and stopped watering the lawn and have tried to plant native grass in the lawn area, (not that green but no wast of water)

there is an irrigation sprinkler south of my place, all summer long it pumps 800 gallons a min 24/7 to water corn, 140 acers.

OK what I am posting these examples for is it takes a lot of gallons to water crops or irrigate.

How much rain is an inch of rain? | WVEC.com Norfolk - Hampton Roads
        First, 1 inch of rain implies water one inch deep per surface area. So:
        1 inch of rain equals 5.61 gallons per square yard.
        1 inch of rain equals 27,150 gallons per acre.
        1 inch of rain equals 17.37 million gallons of water per square mile.
        If your wanting to water your garden with rain water, My guess is your going to want a few hundred gallons of storage at the very least, may be in the thousands of gallons, even.

unless your garden is very small, just a few square yards,

mulches can stretch your water greatly, or even the land scaping fabrics,

I planted about 10 miles of trees in the early 2000, and used the land scape mulch, and lost very few trees less than one 1%. and some of that was during the 2002 drought, (I think we got 1" of water during the growing season that year, the tree were water once or twice,)
        with out the mulch the loss would have 99% and even with watering (No mulch) tree losses would have been about 50% or higher.

What I am saying is it takes allot of gallons to irrigate.

hope you water drums work out to your expectaions.
        Attached Files
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It would help if you told us what you're trying to get wet. How large of an area you're wanting to water etc.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
          X