X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Real Estate Inspectors Association

So today I had a speaking engagement in front of the California Real Estate Inspectors Association. It was their annual State conference so the attendees came from all over the State. During part of the discussion they asked a question about plumbers who come out to camera sewers but then up sell to a "larger" camera. I suggested when a plumber tries that they need to find a new plumber. Now they are asking if I would come out and camera their sewers. I explained that I only do litigation inspection but that I could refer then to honest plumbers. Then a guy asks about inspections in Brentwood and Beverly Hills. I gave him Plumber Rick's name and it turns out Rick is the one doing his work and they love him. Within minutes these guys were looking up Rick's info and sharing it with the rest of the room.

Who would have known when I called Rick he would say he doesn't care for Escrow sewer inspections?

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: California Real Estate Inspectors Association

Thanks mark.

It's not that I don't care for escrow inspections, it's more like I prefer established customer inspections. Meaning, I have a working relationship with the client and first hand knowledge of their sewer system and issues. Going in blind and not able to ask questions of the seller, I have to pretty much determine its condition in 2 hours after its already had a 50-100 year headstart on me.

It's pretty difficult to pull the wool over my eyes, but if the seller thourly jets the line clean and cameras it a week before my inspection, I might not pick up on all the hidden issues. Plus realitors always want it inspected yesterday.

I know I do a great job and am very realistic with what I see and what I recommend. But it comes down the real estate sale closing. I just don't want to be the 1 that is pressured to make it all good.

Lets see if you plugging me makes the phone ring off the hook. I have enough cameras for every day of the week and then some.

Thanks Mark, you know I really appreciate it even though I have my gut instincts.

Rick.

Ps. Inspectors feel free to contact me, I do say yes
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick found the Caps key!!!!

Comment

It will be interesting to see if when your inspections do not yeild the expected (by the realtor) results if calls start to slack off.

In other words are they looking for an honest condition report or one that will close a sale.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have plenty of experience with realtors over the years . Doing all the trades , I know too much ? I pick up soo much the house inspectors miss , with the new owners. If I did inspections for a living, I would be known as a " DEAL KILLER "
          I also feel Rick would get this handle ! And how could You not recommend Phoebe"s Dad , Papa ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
            Rick found the Caps key!!!!
            You just noticed

Been posting since january with my samsung tablet. It has predictive type and smart type. Problem is It will outsmart me at times and if I don't proof it, it'll pick the wrong word. It's a love hate relationship, but I wouldn't trade it back for a laptop, keyboard.

Great with late night early morning posting as the keys are on-screen and lit up.

If you see non cap post, figure I used my laptop.

Why did it take you 4 months to notice? Is it that I don't post enough to notice

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

To my amazement, in Truckee CA they require all sewer laterals to pass a water test before they allow a house to change hands. It's to protect the water quality of nearby Donner Lake. When Lakeside Plumbing can't find a CO at the street, he runs a best ball down from the CO by the house, sometimes he has to real out as much as a hundred feet of hose.

Comment

Is it that I don't post enough to notice
                Yeah, that's it.

I find the same when using my tablet. The XOOM has spell check but it does not work on the forum.
                It does work on some web pages, must have something to do with the way the page is formatted
                that it can't recognize or respond to mis-spelled word. I've never noticed it picking up on missed
                capitalization though.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  You just noticed

Been posting since january with my samsung tablet. It has predictive type and smart type. Problem is It will outsmart me at times and if I don't proof it, it'll pick the wrong word. It's a love hate relationship, but I wouldn't trade it back for a laptop, keyboard.

Great with late night early morning posting as the keys are on-screen and lit up.

If you see non cap post, figure I used my laptop.

Why did it take you 4 months to notice? Is it that I don't post enough to notice

Rick.
                  It took me four months to notice because the past five years had got me accustomed to seeing no caps. I focus on the content of your posts, not the punctuation. 17,025 posts in 9 years is nothing to be ashamed of.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Thanks mark.

It's not that I don't care for escrow inspections, it's more like I prefer established customer inspections. Meaning, I have a working relationship with the client and first hand knowledge of their sewer system and issues. Going in blind and not able to ask questions of the seller, I have to pretty much determine its condition in 2 hours after its already had a 50-100 year headstart on me.

It's pretty difficult to pull the wool over my eyes, but if the seller thourly jets the line clean and cameras it a week before my inspection, I might not pick up on all the hidden issues. Plus realitors always want it inspected yesterday.

I know I do a great job and am very realistic with what I see and what I recommend. But it comes down the real estate sale closing. I just don't want to be the 1 that is pressured to make it all good.

Lets see if you plugging me makes the phone ring off the hook. I have enough cameras for every day of the week and then some.

Thanks Mark, you know I really appreciate it even though I have my gut instincts.

Rick.

Ps. Inspectors feel free to contact me, I do say yes
                    Rick, words of wisdom. It is amazing how we are put into situations like this and we don't always stop to think as you have described in well chosen words. Down here they are looking at doing "roadworthy inspections" on houses pre sale. This is another step towards buyer protection which could all go pear shape quickly. Like you said a camera job with a full report and accurate advise in two hours ......................!!!!!!
                    Real estate agents are tighter than fish in water so what makes anyone think this would be a winner. Also their best friends, the "AMBULANCE CHASING FILTH(solicitors)" will be sitting waiting to crucify us should we use the wrong words or interpret a bit different to someone else. And the beat goes on.

Comment

Working...
                    X