Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tool should I buy to fix this issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tool should I buy to fix this issue?

Situation: we moved into an old house a few months ago. The only downstairs toilet flushed very sporadically, sometimes just fine and sometimes didn't flush. We replaced the toilet with a new TOTO Drake II. Same thing is happening, although it seems to be getting more frequent that the toilet doesn't flush. It could have no waste in it one day and flush fine, and then the next day with no waste, not flush.

So, what the heck is a girl to do? I would like to try and fix it ourselves, but also don't want to spend a bunch of money buying plumbing tools if it's unlikely we will be able to fix it. If I were to buy something, should I buy a 6 ft. ridgid toilet auger? Or what about the kwik-spin--does that work on toilet drains if you remove the toilet? Or does this sound more like a vent cleaning needed problem. Please advise, thank you!!!
    Pull Toilet and use Kwik Spin
    0.00%
    Use 6 ft ridgid toilet auger
    0.00%
    Have Vent Cleaned
    0.00%
    Call a damn plumber!!
    100.00%

Re: What tool should I buy to fix this issue?

If the new toilet is doing the same as the old, then it most likely is not in the toilet, and is farther down the pipe, a kwick spin is not going to be much good if it is a main line blockage, it most like will tangle up on it own cable and possible even get stuck, in larger pipe, the toilet auger is only 6 foot long, and is mostly for just clearing out the toilet it self, and unless the blockage is with in a few foot or so of the toilet, it would do you little good for this problem most likely,

I will vote for calling in a good plumber that cleans drains and has a good reputation for treating the customer fairly and honestly. you may want to ask some of your neighbors of they have any they recommend. If it is the vent is blocked then he should be able to fix it, and if it is the main line with tree roots in it he should be to clear it out, and if it is a different problem I would think he should be able to figure it out,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That sounds like good advice. I forgot to mention: we did have our main line rodded very recently. So, same advice still, right? Or worth it to try the 6 ft tool?

Comment

apparently there is some problem,

one day on this forum (the way i remember) some one showed a can lid (or maybe it was the knock out from a plastic toilet flanges) stuck in a drain, some days it would work great and other days it was blocked, they would rod/snake it. and not find any thing, went on for a long time, then some one camera down and the piece would flip and block it and then open up and it would work OK, then go flat and block it, the snake would just go under it, as it teetered,
        this is not the post I remember but similar
        https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t26682/
        another odd one
        https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t36218/

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t14162/

I am not saying that what you have is a can lid in your pipe, but some thing appears to blocking and draining or causing a vacuum or some thing, and some one with some expertise to look over and possible be able to camera the line and see if there is a part blockage, or some thing that could be causing an intermittent blockage,

I have no idea what your base problem is, and most likely one will have to do some looking and figuring to find the problem,

one of the other questions is there any other drains that run slow or have interment problems, or that seem to act up or gurgle or what ever when the toilet is flushed (flushed and works or not works) ?

I would still get some that will look it over and see if they can conclude what the problem is, just try to find some one who is recommended and fair, (most of the time this is not the biggest add in the yellow pages, or one of the franchise companies)

not trying to scare you, but Old houses can have a lot of problems, and there is a lot of possible causes,

but I think you need to get a professional in and see what they can come up with,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Sewer or septic?

Comment

Also I think I can speak for everyone here when I say none of us would want to hazard a guess as to what tools you need to purchase to fix this. Could need anything from a toilet auger to a K60 and camera system to who knows what, a saw and some PVC cement maybe...

Comment

I'm not a plumbing or septic pro but I do have some thoughts. First of all under what conditions did you buy the house, foreclosure? I'm curious if someone purposely flushed something to cause your problem! Get a pro on the job who can identify the problem and give you repairable options. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
              Just wanted to add that while the right tools help to do the job, they are useless in untrained hands.

Comment

Have a licensed professional with a MicroDrain camera come out and inspect the toilet and drain without removing the toilet.
                I have diagnosed similar problems.
                Might be a back pitched line holding water and solids.

Comment

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

When the toilet is acting up, can you still run laundry and take showers with no issues showing up in the toilet?

We can walk you through almost anything, but ultimatly a good plumber asking the right questions can easily diagnose the problem and then properly address it.

Don't mind helping you out if you have the time and want to play 20 questions

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

A plumber with drain cleaning machines, and a camera system would be your best bet.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                      X