X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Fix A Leaking Bathtup Faucet Quick And Easy

Last edited by handymanguy; 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM.

Re: How To Fix A Leaking Bathtup Faucet Quick And Easy

The quick and easy fix would be to remove the faucet and install a single handle pressure balance valve in its place.
    26+6=1

Comment

i'll assume it's your video. so since you list yourself as a handyman, i'll go a little easy on you.

i'll give you a "c" as you missed some very important steps and basics.

#1 repairing a cold only and not doing both hot and cold is like doing a front brake job on a car and only doing the passenger side.

#2 do you not know about greasing the stem or adjust the packing nut, replacing the packing?

#3 by assembling the trim before you turn the water back on is foolish. you can't see a leak or adjust packings as required.

#4 no caulking or putty behind the valve estucions or on the trim.

#5 a tub deep socket is typically required unless your valves are ruffed in too far out like yours are.

#6 tightening or loosening the valve stem without making sure that it's not bottoming out is a great way to strip the stem or valve body threads.

i'm sure if i jotted down my notes while watching this and the tv at the same time, i could find more and comment more. but from what i can see, you might be trying to help others, but honestly there are too many issues you missed that will come back to haunt most novices.

sorry, but you put it out there and i'm giving you my professional observation of your work.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hmmm....are you going to make a video on how to do this then Rick?

I recall some years ago someone was posting in the construction forum on how to fabricate stone. The post was full of inaccuracies and looked like a copy and paste article.

I pointed out the errors and the person stopped posting. Clearly the poster had never worked with stone. I do see this sometimes where people who are not there to drop links, post advice on subjects they know nothing about. I'm not saying that's the case for the OP here but I do see it many times on this forum and wonder why someone would want to copy and paste advice from elsewhere without first hand knowledge of the subject - in many cases the advice is questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          Hmmm....are you going to make a video on how to do this then Rick?

I recall some years ago someone was posting in the construction forum on how to fabricate stone. The post was full of inaccuracies and looked like a copy and paste article.

I pointed out the errors and the person stopped posting. Clearly the poster had never worked with stone. I do see this sometimes where people who are not there to drop links, post advice on subjects they know nothing about. I'm not saying that's the case for the OP here but I do see it many times on this forum and wonder why someone would want to copy and paste advice from elsewhere without first hand knowledge of the subject - in many cases the advice is questionable.
          Blue ,I would like to learn stone work . Could You please Help me with reference books, videos ? Thanks Tool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Blue ,I would like to learn stone work . Could You please Help me with reference books, videos ? Thanks Tool
            Sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i'll assume it's your video. so since you list yourself as a handyman, i'll go a little easy on you.

i'll give you a "c" as you missed some very important steps and basics.

#1 repairing a cold only and not doing both hot and cold is like doing a front brake job on a car and only doing the passenger side.

#2 do you not know about greasing the stem or adjust the packing nut, replacing the packing?

#3 by assembling the trim before you turn the water back on is foolish. you can't see a leak or adjust packings as required.

#4 no caulking or putty behind the valve estucions or on the trim.

#5 a tub deep socket is typically required unless your valves are ruffed in too far out like yours are.

#6 tightening or loosening the valve stem without making sure that it's not bottoming out is a great way to strip the stem or valve body threads.

i'm sure if i jotted down my notes while watching this and the tv at the same time, i could find more and comment more. but from what i can see, you might be trying to help others, but honestly there are too many issues you missed that will come back to haunt most novices.

sorry, but you put it out there and i'm giving you my professional observation of your work.

rick.
              Perhaps that is why he is a handyman and not a plumber. That was a uber simple repair which I would give him a fail. He addressed the obvious and missed all of the stuff that makes it a repair.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X